The more I think on it, EQNext should be made to be a REAL challenge.
1. Nobody can talk to anybody outside their race until they level up other language skills and make that take serious time and effort.
2. All NPCs are KOS except those in your home town. And even those won't talk with you until you complete some involved quests.
3. Forget being invisible... EVERY NPC is SI.
4. No con colors... you just gotta take your best shot.
5. PvP on for all, of course, and no level limits.
6. XP is REAL slow... it takes like at least 16hours of steady gameplay to gain one level. And starting at level one.
7. Death causes loss of an entire level. No rez spells in game, not at least until like level 120.
8. Corpses rot in one hour. In OR out of game. Of course, all your gear rots with your corpse. Plus everything in your bank. (The "lore" is that the mob who killed you got your bank account keys off your corpse, ran to the nearest bank and grabbed all your banked stuff. Reasonable, right?)
9. The game will have raids, of course. But if you die in a raid, corpse rot is instant and you're insta-respawned back to level 1 and have to start over again. This ensures players take raiding SERIOUSLY. The heart's desire of every real guild leader!
10. The game should have EPIC quests, naturally. But for EVERY piece of decent armor. This makes it challenging---REALLY challenging---to fill every slot.
11. EQ has two slots for fingers, ears and wrists, right?? Have two slots for feet and hands, also. Plus TEN slots for fingers. What the hell, most of us have TEN fingers, not TWO, right??
12. Hackers will be "shot" on sight, of course. The game will have GMs stationed in every zone permanently and they have REAL god-like powers, including the abilities to see your screen remotely at will. Not only is the hacker perma-banned but everyone he's grouped with in the last 24 hours plus every member of his guild. That will force players to be very very careful with whom they group or guild. Right?
13. Random GM events, where GMs "dress up" as a level 150 villain with instant harm-touch and randomly visit a zone, even raid zones, and start remotely death-touching players. Everyone loves The Sleeper, right? Same deal but not just once per server! This kind of death doesn't de-level you, of course. You just lose one piece of armor.
14. Gear rots, of course, unless you repair it constantly. Expect to be wire-brushing that rust off your breastplate and hammering the dents out of your longsword between every other kill.
15. Money can "fall" out of your pocket, randomly, unless you buy certain "AAs" like Hole-Free Pants Pockets. Plus unless you buy the AA "EQFDIC Insurance" you face the risk of losing your bank stash in the event of embezzlement by the bank NPC.
16. What's up with carrying EIGHT backpacks? How realistic is that? In MYEQNEXT you get ONE! You can carry a second one but it encumbers you and cuts your AC, HP Regen and Mana Regen in half.
This is just for starters! ;)
1 - fair enough. makes sense, really.
2 - part one, yes, part 2 , why? if you go to the local 7/11 do you have to do tasks to buy a big gulp and a frozen buritto? that's just silly.
3 - no.
4 - what? are you a masochist?
5 - nope nope nope. i seriously hate PvP. i've never played a game where i enjoyed PvP. there are enough things in norrath that want to kill me, why would i want to have to worrying about some 15 year old with no life and a rich daddy who can play 24/7 running around trying to gank me just cause it makes him feel like his teeny epeen is significant?
6 - got no problem with this. sometimes i think EQ suffers for allowing lower level toons to level to rapidly - you can PL to 85 in just a matter of hours. this is fine if you already know how to play your character, and are just rebuilding say, another shaman on another account, to use to buff the alts on your main account... but otherwise, it can make for a horrible player.
7 - meh.. i don't like that, but i don't hate it... i'd say 10% of the level.. a whole level is kinda harsh. say you're lvl 50, 90% of the way in, look out TRAINED, bang, you're now lvl 49, because someone is a jerk. not exactly fair. now, if ALL zones were instanced, like guild wars then i'd go along with your whole level loss. there can be no trains unless YOU cause them, so you'd deserve what you get.
8 - just, no. why? thunderstorm. power loss... die because LD... power is out 3 hours. all your stuff is gone because a lightening bolt hit a transformer a mile from your house. not a good idea. people would abandon the game like lemmings.
9 - this is just stupid. good idea to make sure no one raids.
10 - i like this one, actually. instead of just 1 epic weapon, every slot slot has an 'epic' option. i've thought they should add an epic BP quest for years.
11 - yup. agree totally - and will add that you will have to make sure you check every one of the 10 rings for type and style, because some combinations of the wrong things can cause the rings to cancel each other out, or even combine and cancel out the bonuses from another piece of armor.
12 - part one, yes.part 2, yes to the GM and his godly powers. the rest of it is just lame. you've just killed pick-up groups. no one will ever go LFG because they'll be terrified of ending up grouped with a hacker. guilds would exist of only people who know each other IRL, because one little misjudgment could get 60 people banned. kind of a dumb idea, in my opinion.
13 i decided at this point that you were just being silly. at first i thought this was a serious post, but this was the proverbial straw from the proverbial camel that made me realize you were just being goofy and amusing yourself.
14 so, on THIS one i decided i should pile in with you have have a little fun as well . Not only should gear rot unless you repair it, it can also poison you if you go to long between repairs. enough combat, your BP will get all banged up, right? with jagged edges, and those will cut you and give you lead poisoning or gangrene and the like. ignored long enough, it can slowly cause your death, and such a death will carry an extra level loss as a penalty for being lazy.
15 - not only can money fall out or the bank get embezzled, until you finish the epic raid events " The Brothers of Leemen must DIE!" and " Lynch Merrel!" your whole bank could disappear and take all of your ( and everyone who uses that bank's ) stuff, AND cause you to lose 50% of the stuff you loot ( chosen randomly) to disappear from your inventory for up to the next 90 days.
16 - with the reduction to one 12 slot back pack, you do get 2 4 slot pants pockets, 1 2 slot shirt pocket, and 2 2 and 2 4slot jacket pockets. you must remember to remove your jacket before a fight, or the effect of the jacket cut the stats of your BP by 50%. if you were carrying 2 backpacks ( at a 50% reduction by itself) it would mean that the jacket and the 2 packs would reduce your combat stats and regen by 100%. so take the jacket off before you get into a fight.
I really hope you were being silly.... because if you were serious about most of the 16 items above, you are describing the perfect game for me to avoid like the black death.