Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

IRS vs GestapoFollow

#1 Jul 12 2012 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
I've tried not to flood this forum with the ridiculous put forth by my state's governor but I'd like affirmation on something.

Last Saturday during his weekly radio address Gov. Lepage called the IRS the new Gestapo. This was not an off-the-cuff remark. Admittedly he had intentionally added to the script and choose not to pull it out despite pleas from his PR Manager. The remark made national news (personally I think that was his plan all along). Locally he backed off a with a statement about his remark being misconstrued, etc, etc, but didn't go as far as tp apologize to any of the various groups demanding it.

Next Lepage receives this letter from the President of the Tax-collectors union (I thought it was a pretty good letter). The next bit is where I'm think Lepage has hung himself, but who knows. We did elect him once. (Smiley: oyvey). Today, while campaigning in Vermont for some other republican, a local Vermont reporter interviews him....

Quote:
"What I am trying to say is the Holocaust was a horrific crime against humanity and, frankly, I would never want to see that repeated," LePage said. "Maybe the IRS is not quite as bad — yet."

Seven Days reporter Paul Heintz asked, "But they're headed in that direction?"

LePage responded, "They're headed in that direction."

Heintz then asked LePage if he knew what the Gestapo did during World War II. LePage said, "Yeah, they killed a lot of people." Heintz asked if he thought the IRS was going to kill a lot of people.

"Yeah," LePage said.

"They're headed in the direction of killing a lot of people? Are you serious?" Heintz asked.

LePage said he was "very serious," adding that the agency would be rationing health care.

"They ration health care in Canada," LePage said. "That's why they a lot of people come down to the U.S."
I don't know if this craziness was prompted by the letter from the IRS Union lady, if he's simply trying to keep his name out in the national media, if he really believes the IRS is going to start killing people off (...and I bet they'll start with them french-canadians!), or he's intentionally committing political suicide?

Anyways, I think he's going to be a one-term governor.......

Smiley: clown

Here's the full article about the interview in Vermont. Apparently the reporter was asking bad questions. Smiley: rolleyes

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 9:11pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Jul 12 2012 at 1:08 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,305 posts
Of all the abbreviations and acronyms, I don't think the IRS really ranks that high on my list of people to be afraid of coming to kill me in my sleep. Maybe as the people operating the gas chambers.

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 3:08pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Jul 12 2012 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'm finishing John Avlon's book Wingnuts. He might need to publish a second volume.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4 Jul 12 2012 at 1:22 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Ok.. so how did someone this retarded get elected as governor?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#5 Jul 12 2012 at 3:32 PM Rating: Good
****
4,150 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Ok.. so how did someone this retarded get elected as governor?


Is it really that unusual?
____________________________
"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders". Carlin.

#6 Jul 12 2012 at 4:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
Quote:
"They ration health care in Canada," LePage said. "That's why they a lot of people come down to the U.S."


I was actually kind of on board until this line.

Canada doesn't ration health care, we lack hospitals and doctors. Largely because the Doctors go open practices in the US, because they can make more money.

But I do agree that the IRS does have some resemblances to the Gestapo. Heck they are even allowed to carry guns for those really nasty tax evaders.

Quote:
9.1.4.6 (05-30-2008)
Directive No. 4 - Firearms

The nature of CI's activities requires the ability to respond in a safe and timely manner 24 hours a day. Special agents are not expected to be armed at all times, but must have access to their assigned firearm when required to perform official duties.

Special agents are authorized, but are not required, to carry their IRS-issued weapon when off-duty. When carrying their IRS-issued weapon off-duty, special agents are subject to all IRM provisions concerning firearms.

Criminal Investigation will provide each special agent with a firearms safe in the office and a safety container for home storage.

The Chief, CI, will ensure that each special agent has met the requirements to carry firearms. Futhermore, the Director, Field Operations and each SAC will ensure that each special agent in his/her office has met the requirements to carry firearms.

The SAC may authorize special agents to carry IRS-owned weapons other than the agents' assigned firearm (for example, shotguns). The SAC will notify the Director, Field Operations of such authorization within 24 hours.

Special agents who carry a privately-owned weapon during off-duty hours are subject to the same civil and criminal restrictions as a private citizen. Special agents may not use their position or credentials to qualify under state or local laws to purchase, license, carry, or use private weapons; however upon request, credentials may be displayed as occupational identification, but not to influence the decision.


http://www.irs.gov/irm/part9/irm_09-001-004.html#d0e199

In a way they can detain anyone they want, call the crime tax evasion, fudge some numbers, and control dissent in the populous.

The seeds of Fascism are sewn one seed a time.

In my own country, we have submitted to our supreme American overlords. Your Law enforcement can now make Arrests on my nations soil.

Awesome.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#7 Jul 12 2012 at 5:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,008 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
In a way they can detain anyone they want, call the crime tax evasion, fudge some numbers, and control dissent in the populous.


Yeah, it's crazy how anyone with power can abuse it when they do things illegally Smiley: dubious

You realize that this is like saying that the police "can detain anyone they want, call the crime anything, fudge some evidence, and control dissent in the populous," right?*

*Edit: Which I suppose makes your point if you hate the police and think they're entirely corrupt. Didn't think of that until after I posted.

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 7:15pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#8 Jul 12 2012 at 5:19 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Quote:
"They ration health care in Canada," LePage said. "That's why they a lot of people come down to the U.S."


I was actually kind of on board until this line.

Canada doesn't ration health care, we lack hospitals and doctors. Largely because the Doctors go open practices in the US, because they can make more money.

But I do agree that the IRS does have some resemblances to the Gestapo. Heck they are even allowed to carry guns for those really nasty tax evaders.

Quote:
9.1.4.6 (05-30-2008)
Directive No. 4 - Firearms

The nature of CI's activities requires the ability to respond in a safe and timely manner 24 hours a day. Special agents are not expected to be armed at all times, but must have access to their assigned firearm when required to perform official duties.

Special agents are authorized, but are not required, to carry their IRS-issued weapon when off-duty. When carrying their IRS-issued weapon off-duty, special agents are subject to all IRM provisions concerning firearms.

Criminal Investigation will provide each special agent with a firearms safe in the office and a safety container for home storage.

The Chief, CI, will ensure that each special agent has met the requirements to carry firearms. Futhermore, the Director, Field Operations and each SAC will ensure that each special agent in his/her office has met the requirements to carry firearms.

The SAC may authorize special agents to carry IRS-owned weapons other than the agents' assigned firearm (for example, shotguns). The SAC will notify the Director, Field Operations of such authorization within 24 hours.

Special agents who carry a privately-owned weapon during off-duty hours are subject to the same civil and criminal restrictions as a private citizen. Special agents may not use their position or credentials to qualify under state or local laws to purchase, license, carry, or use private weapons; however upon request, credentials may be displayed as occupational identification, but not to influence the decision.


http://www.irs.gov/irm/part9/irm_09-001-004.html#d0e199

In a way they can detain anyone they want, call the crime tax evasion, fudge some numbers, and control dissent in the populous.

The seeds of Fascism are sewn one seed a time.

In my own country, we have submitted to our supreme American overlords. Your Law enforcement can now make Arrests on my nations soil.

Awesome.


Screenshot
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#9 Jul 12 2012 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
rdmcandie wrote:
In a way they can detain anyone they want, call the crime tax evasion, fudge some numbers, and control dissent in the populous.


Yeah, it's crazy how anyone with power can abuse it when they do things illegally Smiley: dubious

You realize that this is like saying that the police "can detain anyone they want, call the crime anything, fudge some evidence, and control dissent in the populous," right?*

*Edit: Which I suppose makes your point if you hate the police and think they're entirely corrupt. Didn't think of that until after I posted.

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 7:15pm by LockeColeMA


You have heard of the Patriot Act correct?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#10 Jul 12 2012 at 5:28 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,108 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I'm finishing John Avlon's book Wingnuts. He might need to publish a second volume.

This is the book that compares far-right conservatives to *****, right?
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#11 Jul 12 2012 at 6:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,315 posts
Quote:
The seeds of Fascism are sewn one seed a time.


I assume you meant to type sown, unless you can tailor and farm at the same time.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#12 Jul 12 2012 at 6:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Not that I remember reading. John Avlon is a conservative of the Uglysasquatch variety and is calling for more rational and civilized political discourse. Comparing people to ***** would sort of defeat the purpose (especially since he cites both sides playing the **** card as evidence of the current climate).

Edit: Tablet ate "Uglysasquatch"

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 7:07pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#13 Jul 12 2012 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,015 posts
If you're not careful the taxman might take all your dough and leave you in your stately home, lazing on a sunny afternoon. And you can't sail your yacht; he's taken everything you've got...
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#14 Jul 12 2012 at 6:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Prodigal Son
******
20,015 posts
paulsol wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Ok.. so how did someone this retarded get elected as governor?


Is it really that unusual?

To be loved by anyone?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#15 Jul 13 2012 at 4:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Not that I remember reading. John Avlon is a conservative of the Uglysasquatch variety and is calling for more rational and civilized political discourse. Comparing people to ***** would sort of defeat the purpose (especially since he cites both sides playing the **** card as evidence of the current climate).

Edit: Tablet ate "Uglysasquatch"

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 7:07pm by Jophiel
Awesome, i warrant my own type. And I'm still here, so I guess the tablet **** me back out.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#16 Jul 13 2012 at 6:50 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
Samira wrote:
Quote:
The seeds of Fascism are sewn one seed a time.


I assume you meant to type sown, unless you can tailor and farm at the same time.




Yes
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#17 Jul 13 2012 at 6:54 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,305 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Not that I remember reading. John Avlon is a conservative of the Uglysasquatch variety and is calling for more rational and civilized political discourse. Comparing people to ***** would sort of defeat the purpose (especially since he cites both sides playing the **** card as evidence of the current climate).

Edit: Tablet ate "Uglysasquatch"
Awesome, i warrant my own type. And I'm still here, so I guess the tablet sh*t me back out.
Not much nutritional value.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#18 Jul 13 2012 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
Debalic wrote:
paulsol wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Ok.. so how did someone this retarded get elected as governor?


Is it really that unusual?

To be loved by anyone?

+1 for the Tom Jones reference.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#19 Jul 13 2012 at 7:58 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
Jophiel wrote:

Edit: Tablet ate "Uglysasquatch"

Edited, Jul 12th 2012 7:07pm by Jophiel
...or did Uglysasquatch hack into your tablet.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#20 Jul 13 2012 at 8:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Awesome, i warrant my own type.

Fiscal conservative, largely social agnostic from what I can tell. Belief that fiscal responsibility is important but doesn't use it as justification to promote a social agenda (i.e. "Stop *** marriage because my taxes will pay for breaks for married gays"). You'd know better than me but I assume you're sort of in the David Frum mold.

Or maybe you've never heard of Frum and wouldn't know better than me Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#21 Jul 13 2012 at 9:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
Yea, no idea who he is, so you would know better than me.


And that's a pretty good summation. I support most social programs, just can't abide when they get wasteful. I would like to see them administered better, which likely means increasing staffing levels.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#22 Jul 13 2012 at 9:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,315 posts
You'd find Frum reasonable, I think. I do, for the most part, even when I disagree with his conclusions.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#23 Jul 13 2012 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Likewise. I like reading Avlon and Frum for sane conservative thought even when I disagree with them.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#24 Jul 13 2012 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,050 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Yea, no idea who he is, so you would know better than me.


And that's a pretty good summation. I support most social programs, just can't abide when they get wasteful. I would like to see them administered better, which likely means increasing staffing levels.


I think everyone would like to see social programs administered better (barring the recipients of the inefficiencies), but unfortunately it's quite difficult to align incentives to eliminate structural efficiency problems in a public agency.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#25 Jul 13 2012 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
unfortunately it's quite difficult to align incentives to eliminate structural efficiency problems in a public agency.
Difficult is not impossible, so lets make it happen.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#26 Jul 13 2012 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,050 posts
Sure, the first step is to structure incentives in a secondary oversight committee, done by an outside think tank instead of a congressional body. It's actually very difficult to find people to tend to the garden without being overtly partisan. These institutions actually have a really short half life before they get overrun without a very strong leader. Add to that it is an unelected body attempting to control policy and you get a lot of backlash from various firms and public figures.

CAGW is one example of one of the many groups trying to do this here, (sorry, I don't have enough knowledge on Canada to know groups off the cuff that do this there) but their decentralized nature makes their specific power to affect policy somewhat lacking. I realize It's necessary to prevent them dying to cancer, but it is what it is.

Edited, Jul 13th 2012 12:04pm by Timelordwho
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#27 Jul 13 2012 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
Oh, I'm sorry. Now that you've reworded that from "quite" to "very" difficult, I see why it can't be done.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#28 Jul 13 2012 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. Now that you've reworded that from "quite" to "very" difficult, I see why it can't be done.

Next stop, "extremely".
#29 Jul 13 2012 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,050 posts
I assume you two have better implementation ideas then, that can divorce economic and political objectives of a consulting firm, right?

I'm all ears.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#30 Jul 13 2012 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Sure, the first step is to structure incentives in a secondary oversight committee, done by an outside think tank instead of a congressional body. It's actually very difficult to find people to tend to the garden without being overtly partisan. These institutions actually have a really short half life before they get overrun without a very strong leader. Add to that it is an unelected body attempting to control policy and you get a lot of backlash from various firms and public figures.

CAGW is one example of one of the many groups trying to do this here, (sorry, I don't have enough knowledge on Canada to know groups off the cuff that do this there) but their decentralized nature makes their specific power to affect policy somewhat lacking. I realize It's necessary to prevent them dying to cancer, but it is what it is.

Edited, Jul 13th 2012 12:04pm by Timelordwho
The last thing they need is another oversight committee - especially an oversight committee. Do you know how hard it is to get anything done by committee consensus?

They need a permanent structure that requires a thorough audit every so often - maybe 5 years, or 7 years, but that would really be program dependent. The audit process has to remain non-biased.

The problem that I see with most government programs is they take on more and more and never let go of the old. A simple example is electronic documentation versus paper. Many many agencies use both. They can't dump the paper version because it's written into rule, or even statute or maybe they're just not comfortable doing so.

Technology has been changing too fast for our government structure to keep up. The status quo procedures for government to carry out it's work is highly out-dated. There's no way it can keep up with administrations that change every two to six years.

But, something that can't be forgotten is your standard welfare program, whether it's providing food, shelter, money or health care is inherently inefficient as it's has to be available to everyone with need (with welfare programs equality > efficiency).
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#31 Jul 13 2012 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
The reason our "paperless" office still goes through a ream of paper a week is because you can't tape a website to a broken laserjet printer to explain why it's sitting on the repair bench.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#32 Jul 13 2012 at 10:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,315 posts
catwho wrote:
The reason our "paperless" office still goes through a ream of paper a week is because you can't tape a website to a broken laserjet printer to explain why it's sitting on the repair bench.



No, but you could probably send an email. Your statement makes no sense to me.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#33 Jul 13 2012 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Also, that's a lot of broken printers.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#34 Jul 13 2012 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
People still use printers?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#35 Jul 13 2012 at 11:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,300 posts
Quote:
"we lack hospitals and doctors"


We do? When's the last time you couldn't get the care you needed? Heck the only time we really have to wait at all is for specialists and even then you only wait if it's a minor issue, typically 2 weeks - 2 months from my own experience, and generally have an interim treatment for whatever symptoms you may have while you wait.

Wife went to the doctor the other day. Dr wanted an ultrasound done so sent us down the road and had it done an hour later. That wasn't even urgent, we'd have gone down 2 floors and been done immediately if it was.

Our health care system is fantastic. There's always room for improvement of course.
#36 Jul 13 2012 at 11:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
Quote:
"we lack hospitals and doctors"


Our health care system is fantastic. There's always room for improvement of course.


It is fantastic, but we lack doctors and hospitals, which falls under room for improvement. We shouldn't have to wait to get care. I understand serious issues get taken care of rather quickly, but many people are on waiting lists to get fixes for less severe things.

Just saying that the "Canada rations health care" line is misleading. We have to schedule our health care based on necessity, if we had more doctors and care facilities, we would not have to "ration" our doctors and beds.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#37 Jul 13 2012 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Yodabunny wrote:
Quote:
"we lack hospitals and doctors"


Our health care system is fantastic. There's always room for improvement of course.


It is fantastic, but we lack doctors and hospitals, which falls under room for improvement. We shouldn't have to wait to get care. I understand serious issues get taken care of rather quickly, but many people are on waiting lists to get fixes for less severe things.

Just saying that the "Canada rations health care" line is misleading. We have to schedule our health care based on necessity, if we had more doctors and care facilities, we would not have to "ration" our doctors and beds.
For what it's worth, here in the good ol' USA where healthcare is a private industry there is also a wait to see specialists.

What is the cause of the shortage of health care resources?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#38 Jul 13 2012 at 12:56 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
Samira wrote:
catwho wrote:
The reason our "paperless" office still goes through a ream of paper a week is because you can't tape a website to a broken laserjet printer to explain why it's sitting on the repair bench.
No, but you could probably send an email. Your statement makes no sense to me.


We use a cloud based ticketing system for our business process, so all tickets exist in the archives online. But when you have at any given time 5 broken printers (yes that's a lot), 20-30 computers in some state of preparation, repair, or just sitting on a rack waiting to be deployed at a moment's notice, plus boxes and boxes of phones, cables, cords, hard drives, and every other computer part you can think of (we do have a small warehouse for a reason), you need to label what something is, where it belongs, where it's going, and why it's sitting on the repair bench and not being serviced on site. And since we use identical parts whenever we can (most of our printers are 2055dn from HP, and most of our workstations are HP4000 or HP6000 these days), they need to have some sort of distinguishing mark on them. We do have labels with the PC names, but we tape a paper copy of the ticket onto the part in question so that we can identify it instantly. And there are 15 of us shuffling all this stuff around like little ants. I probably print out about 50 pages worth of tickets and other documentation just by myself - and that's not even printing all the tickets I actually process, since most of my work is software based.

Edited, Jul 13th 2012 2:58pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#39 Jul 13 2012 at 1:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
Elinda wrote:
What is the cause of the shortage of health care resources?
Funding in some situations, but mostly, the fact that most doctors don't want to live in ******* remote communities.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#40 Jul 13 2012 at 6:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,584 posts

Is he talking about the IRS itself, or the IRS as synecdoche for rising taxes / big government? Because I always figured the IRS was essentially just a bunch of desk jockeys/paper pushers/pencil pushers/corporate cogs with no real power of their own, albeit desk jockeys with deliberately confusing documents.

____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#41 Jul 13 2012 at 6:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Quote:
LePage responded, "They're headed in that direction."

Heintz then asked LePage if he knew what the Gestapo did during World War II. LePage said, "Yeah, they killed a lot of people." Heintz asked if he thought the IRS was going to kill a lot of people.

"Yeah," LePage said.

This explains where Gbaji went.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#42 Jul 13 2012 at 9:18 PM Rating: Excellent
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
I'm confused....

I've read this thread, and for the most part, I follow the conversation. In fact, somehow, I feel smarter after reading this thread, but I didn't get a headache...

...I'm not sure how to take this.... it's something I've never experienced before.... is this an asylum thing? Do your threads often make people feel smarter, rather than dumber? Smiley: confused

____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#43 Jul 13 2012 at 10:58 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,108 posts
Flattery will get you nowhere, chump.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#44 Jul 13 2012 at 11:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
catwho wrote:
The reason our "paperless" office still goes through a ream of paper a week is because you can't tape a website to a broken laserjet printer to explain why it's sitting on the repair bench.

Paperless offices shouldn't have printers in the first place.
#45 Jul 15 2012 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
Nadenu wrote:
catwho wrote:
The reason our "paperless" office still goes through a ream of paper a week is because you can't tape a website to a broken laserjet printer to explain why it's sitting on the repair bench.

Paperless offices shouldn't have printers in the first place.

Tell that to HIPAA.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#46 Jul 15 2012 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
Jinte wrote:
Do your threads often make people feel smarter, rather than dumber?


It depends on whether or not you can dismiss facts outright that disagree with your political worldview or not. Those that can't stay willfully ignorant, those that can may or may not learn something new.

Mostly the former.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#47 Jul 15 2012 at 10:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,356 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
Quote:
"we lack hospitals and doctors"


We do? When's the last time you couldn't get the care you needed? Heck the only time we really have to wait at all is for specialists and even then you only wait if it's a minor issue, typically 2 weeks - 2 months from my own experience, and generally have an interim treatment for whatever symptoms you may have while you wait.

Wife went to the doctor the other day. Dr wanted an ultrasound done so sent us down the road and had it done an hour later. That wasn't even urgent, we'd have gone down 2 floors and been done immediately if it was.

Our health care system is fantastic. There's always room for improvement of course.


It all depends. Do you live in a city over 100K? If then, you're right. If you're not, the situation is totally different.

Also there is a huge lack of family physicians, I mean, yes, it's easy as heck to get seen by a walk in clinic, but it's not the same as having someone watching your health in a long term way.

Elinda wrote:
What is the cause of the shortage of health care resources?


There are several things...

We don't have a lot of spaces in universities to train doctors, and there are a lot of them retiring.

Most provincial governments are cash-strapped, so they are holding the line on budgets, so for surgeries like knee and hip, which are scheduled surgeries, they are handing (speaking of my prov. here) a budget to the health authorities and saying "live within it" what that means is that they are using that money till it runs out and everyone left gets to wait till there is more money.

The result is long wait lists for some of those surgeries, and then yes, people go to the states for private surgery sometimes if they can afford it in those cases. When it comes to anything truly life-threatening though, it gets done. It's not an ideal situation at times but it is still better than forking out huge medical insurance premiums.

As for hospitals, we don't have a shortage of them, at least here, though in rural areas there are some that have been having limited closures etc because there aren't the doctors to staff them it is just really difficult to keep doctors in some of those towns, which have less than 10 k people in the middle of nowhere.. More needs to be done to help that, but even money isn't really enough at times, it is just an issue of people not wanting to live in a village in the middle of nowhere, period.



Edited, Jul 15th 2012 9:27pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#48 Jul 16 2012 at 7:33 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,305 posts
I lived in neighborhoods with more than 100k people.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#49 Jul 16 2012 at 10:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
Your mom is a neighborhood of more than 100K people.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#50 Jul 16 2012 at 10:47 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,356 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I lived in neighborhoods with more than 100k people.


I grew up in a community of less than 16k, and it was the largest city for six hours drive in any direction.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#51 Jul 17 2012 at 7:51 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,305 posts
catwho wrote:
Your mom is a neighborhood of more than 100K people.
Technically that would probably be true.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 91 All times are in CST
Jophiel, Kavekkk, Poldaran, stupidmonkey, Tasera, TirithRR, Anonymous Guests (85)