Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Endgame???Follow

#1 Dec 14 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
Is the endgame worring anybody? Seems to me that at launch the pvp is going to be pretty limited 3 warfronts a couple of contested zones and instanced battlegrounds. So do you think that the endgame will consist of rift humping. I hope that there is something worth fighting for i.e. territory or relics.
#2 Dec 14 2010 at 2:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
the game isnt released yet =/

even if the players were allowed to describe endgame, they couldnt, as the events so far have only dealt with early levels.

not saying this isnt a legitimate concern, but we cant possibly know if it is or not yet.
#3 Dec 14 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
Seems to me that the endgame is the most important aspect of any mmo. It is concerning in my mind that the information regarding endgame sounds like 90% of the other mmos on the market.
#4 Dec 14 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Decent
21 posts
i know end game at release of eq2, VG, and war have all let me down, i power lvl to max lvl, get my prismatic sword, do the only one raid zone, and do all 5 dungeons . and im out of things to do for months till the next expansion. im hopeing the end game for rift is full of alot of content. I'm likeing what i see so far in comparison to other games

Edited, Dec 14th 2010 3:20pm by tkizzle
#5 Dec 14 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
32 posts
I think it will be a combination of things. There is so much fighting with rifts, factions, groups linked to specific planes, it should bring all of that in and deal with the balance of power on Telara
#6 Dec 14 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
oh i definitely agree that endgame is the most important in this fashion of MMO. in the Lineage 2 style "infinite grind" it isnt. however, what i was saying is that pre-release info is always subject to change. while alot of it might look similar, we dont actually know the mechanics of it. maybe they have the same sort of features other games have, but more perfectly executed. in this, im pretty optimistic, actually, because i think many games actually make improvements on their predecessors, even if that game fails dismally.

the other thing being, no game is very expansive at release. new content will come out, and (hopefully!) it will be what the community wants. I dont PvP hardly at all, but id prefer a game in which everyone can play pretty much as they want with equal satisfaction. If that means at this stage giving us a rather familiar experience, i guess thats necessary. i dont see "like other games" as intrinsically bad. its more about implementation i think.

P.S. sorry for wall of text T___T
#7 Dec 14 2010 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
People have to have something to fight for that has meaning. Otherwise the game becomes boring.
#8 Dec 14 2010 at 2:36 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
From what I hear end game in RIFT will be a multitude of dungeons that you actually go through at the early level's and different layouts and bosses due to the story. Also there are raid RIFTs and possible raids into the 6 different planes.
#9 Dec 14 2010 at 3:51 PM Rating: Decent
21 posts
Endgame is always a touchy subject and I think it comes down to what you make of it. If you can log in and do something that is enjoyable and advances your character in some aspect then the "endgame" is good. I'm just hoping we won't have a game where people log in and queue for warfronts or dungeons and sit there as their toons sway in the wind. There has to be some motivation to go out and accomplish something and the rift system could be that game breaker.
#10 Dec 14 2010 at 4:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
405 posts
I know there is info out there right now if you look hard enough, and honestly from what I've seen I wouldnt be worried about lack of end game. as previously mentioned, with rifts constantly popping up and a multitude of factions to raise there are plenty of time sinks. Also imagine the high end zones for us power gamers after launch. the first few of us there are gonna be prisonraped by invasion forces with no one high enough lvl to put them down lol, will be fun to watch. I predict a well organized lvling guild/group will smash through invasions then on to higher content which means the solo powergamers are gonna get boned alone haha there will be like 2 tiers of advancment.
#11 Dec 14 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
TiberiusNero wrote:
From what I hear end game in RIFT will be a multitude of dungeons that you actually go through at the early level's and different layouts and bosses due to the story. Also there are raid RIFTs and possible raids into the 6 different planes.

Any source on that? I've actually just been contemplating the waste in most MMOs where devs create this great early to mid game content that's never used once people hit endgame. Reusing and scaling dungeons for endgame sounds like a great idea IMO.
#12 Dec 14 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
I hope that there is going to be some kind of progression in endgame, so that not everyone who gets to the highest level can just start any kind of raid. I think that a system like this could keep players more interested, but at the same time it could also promote elitism.
#13 Dec 14 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
135 posts
To the OP: Its silly to think you are going to see anything on the endgame with at least 4 months left before launch and an NDA in place. All that information is currently being reserved for exclusive media release. Be patient.

Edited, Dec 14th 2010 6:48pm by Cyanix
____________________________

Currently playing: EQ2(AB)
#14 Dec 14 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Decent
21 posts
I agree. I hope it isnt anything like WoW, where if you arent a 24/7 gamer you will just suck.
#15 Dec 15 2010 at 1:04 AM Rating: Decent
20 posts
Isn't endgame tweaking the subject for beta 3? I'd imagine so anyway. Endgame is what keeps the hardcore people around for a long time.
#16 Dec 15 2010 at 1:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
135 posts
Uh no. Beta 3 is capped at 20 just like 1 and 2. There are 7 beta events total.

Beta 3 is the first with actual PvP.
#17 Dec 15 2010 at 9:49 AM Rating: Default
Koldsteel555 wrote:
I agree. I hope it isnt anything like WoW, where if you arent a 24/7 gamer you will just suck.


What WoW are you playing? When I was in WoW if you played once a week you could have the gear on par with the highest end guild's alt.

I would love to see content towards endgame that many of the unorganized groups have a difficult if not impossible time clearing all the way up to the release of new content. I would also love to see some mobs or rifts of the contested style as were seen in earlier EQ2. If Trion is able to create an appropriate raid zone escalation tree the end game would be very enjoyable to all types of participants.
#18 Dec 15 2010 at 9:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
64 posts
Endgame content is definitely important, but I hope they don't artificially pad it out with needless grinding. I like the idea they're using of making massive, sprawling instances that you can incrementally gain access to parts of as you level up.

Of course, PvP addict that I am, I'll prolly be spending most of my time melting faces.
#19 Dec 15 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
i do think that rifts will offer a dynamic, interesting non-tedious endgame past-time. if there are large world bosses ill be happy as a pig in poo. or something.

we all want something cool at endgame, because, in this form of MMO, thats where we spend most of our time. ill be pretty satisfied with the conventional modes, provided the "gear grind" doesnt take over. if Rifts has a better way o doing it, more power to them. ill by there swinging my sword one way or another >:)
#20 Dec 15 2010 at 10:05 AM Rating: Decent
When endgame rifts become more common I would love to see implementation of a system that awards the highest performer during a rift event an item of lower to middle raid quality, and maybe even of top raid quality in rare circumstances. Having this based on the winner breaches a certain benchmark created to differentiate between raiders and non-raiders. In my opinion this would help to reduce a gear grind while keeping it so that mid-high end raid gear retains some meaning and status.
#21 Dec 15 2010 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
26 posts
I'm not really concerned about this, I think they realize that if they don't support the end game that they will lose people as quickly as they gain them, especially with all the competition out there.

Podcast 21 goes into the endgame if you want to give it a listen.
#22 Dec 15 2010 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
Most MMOs have limited endgame content even when they're released. They know that it will take people some time to level and then go through what endgame content there is so it gives them the opportunity to create more after release.

Edited, Dec 15th 2010 2:01pm by Yogtheterrible
#23 Dec 15 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
Yogtheterrible wrote:
Most MMOs have limited endgame content even when they're released. They know that it will take people some time to level and then go through what endgame content there is so it gives them the opportunity to create more after release.
Of course the problem with most game devs is that they overestimate how long it will take players to get through their release content and underestimate how long it's going to take them to create new content. They seem to think that it will take players 6 months to get through release content and that they will be able to create 1 new dungeon per month. The problem is when the players churn through the content in 1 month and it ends up taking the devs 6 months to create 1 new dungeon. Here's hoping that the Rift devs have more realistic expectations of their players and their ability to create new content :)
#24 Dec 15 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
rlunt68 wrote:
Yogtheterrible wrote:
Most MMOs have limited endgame content even when they're released. They know that it will take people some time to level and then go through what endgame content there is so it gives them the opportunity to create more after release.
Of course the problem with most game devs is that they overestimate how long it will take players to get through their release content and underestimate how long it's going to take them to create new content. They seem to think that it will take players 6 months to get through release content and that they will be able to create 1 new dungeon per month. The problem is when the players churn through the content in 1 month and it ends up taking the devs 6 months to create 1 new dungeon. Here's hoping that the Rift devs have more realistic expectations of their players and their ability to create new content :)


I would have to disagree as I think most developers get it about right. It's just the most vocal group are usually the more hardcore players who invest a lot of time into the game and therefore breeze through the content. After a month they've done everything and now they have nothing left to do but complain about how there's nothing left to do. People pick up on this, especially those who don't play the game, spread it around and soon enough the whole gaming world "knows" that they didn't implement enough endgame in that particular game when, in fact, the vast majority of the players wont get around to the endgame content until the developers bring in new endgame content.
#25 Dec 15 2010 at 4:33 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
Yogtheterrible wrote:
I would have to disagree as I think most developers get it about right. It's just the most vocal group are usually the more hardcore players who invest a lot of time into the game and therefore breeze through the content. After a month they've done everything and now they have nothing left to do but complain about how there's nothing left to do. People pick up on this, especially those who don't play the game, spread it around and soon enough the whole gaming world "knows" that they didn't implement enough endgame in that particular game when, in fact, the vast majority of the players wont get around to the endgame content until the developers bring in new endgame content.
I'll give you that the average MMO might be more reasonable, but the past year has seemed to be fairly horrible for new AAA games being released without near enough content. FFXIV in particular is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, and before that both STO and CO (which I know was over a year ago) were both pretty lackluster for content. I'm hoping that 2011 is a lot better with games being released with a more reasonable amount of content.
#26 Dec 15 2010 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
rlunt68 wrote:
Yogtheterrible wrote:
I would have to disagree as I think most developers get it about right. It's just the most vocal group are usually the more hardcore players who invest a lot of time into the game and therefore breeze through the content. After a month they've done everything and now they have nothing left to do but complain about how there's nothing left to do. People pick up on this, especially those who don't play the game, spread it around and soon enough the whole gaming world "knows" that they didn't implement enough endgame in that particular game when, in fact, the vast majority of the players wont get around to the endgame content until the developers bring in new endgame content.
I'll give you that the average MMO might be more reasonable, but the past year has seemed to be fairly horrible for new AAA games being released without near enough content. FFXIV in particular is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, and before that both STO and CO (which I know was over a year ago) were both pretty lackluster for content. I'm hoping that 2011 is a lot better with games being released with a more reasonable amount of content.


Well, I can't really say much about recent MMOs because they sucked so much in beta I never bothered buying them let alone endured their gameplay long enough to get to endgame.
#27 Dec 15 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
10 posts
Like I said in a different thread, it seems like producers this year just wanted to push out a game as soon as possible so they could get a foothold in the market. Most games that failed or are failing, like STO, should have been released a year later because the games just weren't finished. If someone starts a new MMO, gets to endgame and realizes there's nothing to do because the endgame content isn't finished, they quit playing and probably never come back.
#28 Dec 17 2010 at 7:22 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Nightmayer wrote:
Is the endgame worring anybody? Seems to me that at launch the pvp is going to be pretty limited 3 warfronts a couple of contested zones and instanced battlegrounds. So do you think that the endgame will consist of rift humping. I hope that there is something worth fighting for i.e. territory or relics.



lol endgame the game hasn't even begun and i never understood the term endgame in an online mmo, they all usually evolve and with most having available multiple characters, races, classes and factions if you really play everthing the games have to offer i wouldn't worry about endgame, you will probably get bored with any game before you have done everything thing it has to offer and be looking for the next newest and greatest available, or probably long before that if the game draws in the wrong people to play with.
#29 Dec 17 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Decent
34 posts
ThorgrimGrudgebearer wrote:
When endgame rifts become more common I would love to see implementation of a system that awards the highest performer during a rift event an item of lower to middle raid quality, and maybe even of top raid quality in rare circumstances. Having this based on the winner breaches a certain benchmark created to differentiate between raiders and non-raiders. In my opinion this would help to reduce a gear grind while keeping it so that mid-high end raid gear retains some meaning and status.

As long as there is some sort of PvP gear to equate to the PvE ubergear, that's all good. Otherwise you would have to be a raider to PvP against raiders (who may or may not PvP, but if they happen to do both, other PvPers are..etc..)

Silverlyte wrote:
lol endgame the game hasn't even begun and i never understood the term endgame in an online mmo, they all usually evolve and with most having available multiple characters, races, classes and factions if you really play everthing the games have to offer i wouldn't worry about endgame, you will probably get bored with any game before you have done everything thing it has to offer and be looking for the next newest and greatest available, or probably long before that if the game draws in the wrong people to play with.

The problem is, some people don't enjoy certain classes from the begining. I do, and I like to make alts to try them out, but while I do that i am bored because most games make you grind and you grind the same thing over and over. With the rift system you might be more interested in grinding because you have to grind through a bunch of rift raids and they will probably not be the same.
To be honest, people have different definitions for endgame.
Mine is after you are decked out, endgame is all PvP because you already have gear and skills, no reason to keep doing PvE.
People less interested in PvP may feel endgame for them is cap, where they have the skills but like to grind gear from raids and dungeons.
Other people that still like PvE may feel endgame is when they have the best gear set...which is sad because they now have nothing to do since they don't enjoy PvP and they have certainly beaten any PvE challanges already. You can't make those people happy anymore besides releasing new content and new set to keep them busy for another 6 months grinding the 1-2 new dungeons or w/e.


Edited, Dec 17th 2010 12:41pm by Psychopathy
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (23)