Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Pros and Cons Follow

#1 Dec 27 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
1 post
So people giving the fact I'm still waiting for my VIP key, I want you to tell me what are the Pros and Cons(how would you fix it). As far I saw i like the new rift opening system and all, but i gotta say that the graphic doesn't look polished a bit (compared to GW). Also I love how they made so many class from what u can switch(cleric can go many ways of healing). So pls post feedbacks while some of us are waiting for VIP keys :).
#2 Jan 01 2011 at 3:24 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
My Pro's: I like the familiarity of the UI and the basic keyboard/mouse functions. Its very easy to get started. As you said, the soul options are pretty incredible, I just hope Trion will manage to make the choices attractive and usefull enough to avoid "cookie cutter" builds. I liked the graphics with the environment and even the rifts. I also like that some of the souls abilities are interchangeable so your not too flooded with mass abilities. Im not sure how this will or will not change at higher levels. The questing was made fairly easy with the map points. The same points were displayed for rifts and invasions for anyone so interested.

My Con's: What I didnt like was the lack of race options at startup. The classes are great, I would just like to see a few more races out there. While the land was beautiful, there was something..... odd, about the graphics/animations. I cant put my finger on it. It might just be im still so used to the cartoon graphics from WoW. Im concerned a bit about PvP balance. Im not too concerned with all souls being equal but im curious as to how the devs will approach all the arguments from PvPers.


There is plenty more, but my son woke up. I hope this helped a bit, and I hope others reply as well. It would be a great thread for anyone interested that hasnt had the chance to see it for themselves.
#3 Jan 01 2011 at 4:45 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
I haven't had a chance to participate in a beta event yet but I've watched a number of gameplay videos and at full screen 1080p the graphics look fine to me. I'm not bothered by graphics that are toned down a bit if it enables large-scale events that run smoothly on a reasonable PC. The developers could have gone the route of FFXIV and made a game with truly stunning graphics and then had everyone complain that the game drops to 3 fps any time there are more than 30 players/mobs on the screen at any given time. After FFXIV, I'll take fun over pretty any day of the week, and in that context Rift seems to be doing fairly well in the graphics department so far.
#4 Jan 01 2011 at 6:25 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
Pros:
1) Dev team that knows how to communicate and isn't afraid to communicate. And by communicate I mean real issues that fans and players care about, not just marketing. After some of the MMOs I have played I do feel that this is an important thing and consider it a 'pro' when the devs do a good job. The folks at Trion are doing a top rate job so far IMO.

2) Excellent dev team overall. The number of changes they have been able to competently put in place since Beta1 just really amazes me. MMO patches in general have the reputation of introducing more bugs than they fix. The dev team over at Trion has been able to introduce quick turnaround patches in short beta cycles that have amazed me at how well they were executed. This gives me hope that maybe "patch day" in Rift won't be a day to dread.

3) Dynamic content. The rifts and invasions are really more than I had been hoping for. If you don't like the randomness of invasions and zone events then Rift probably isn't the game for you. For me, these bring something that I feel has been missing from MMOs since the days of MUDs :)

4) Soul system. Being able to swap between builds and classes to find the class you like the best is really a godsend to me. The promise of being able to shift into different roles on the fly is intriguing. I am a bit concerned about how it will play out at the high end (i.e., everyone specs the same) but I'm willing to see how it plays out.

5) A world worth exploring. There are random things in odd places which make exploration and paying attention to the world worthwhile. The most obvious of these are "Artifacts" which you collect and then turn in for quest rewards (think "shinies" from EQ2), but there are other things out there waiting to be found. This is a 'pro' for me since playing a game through the Minimap gets old to me...

Cons:
1) Quests are very WoW like. Yes, they have better flow for the most part, but if you don't like the WoW-like quest grind you won't like the quests in Rift for the most part.

2) The crafting is very WoW like in that the main challenge is collecting components rather than the actual crafting process. I'm still waiting for a game where crafting is as compelling and fun as combat is.

3) Leveling to 20 is very fast. I was easily able to get 1 char to 20 and muck around on other chars for each of the 3 Beta events. I'm hoping, but not expecting, that leveling will slow down after level 20.
#5 Jan 02 2011 at 5:42 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
Some great opinions here. I hope to see more good words come from the lvl cap increase in the next beta and some good war stories from the Warfronts. Hopefully post some of my own if luck prevails and I get a VIP Code.
#6 Jan 03 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Decent
28 posts
Pros:
-Everything works as it should
-Gameplay flow seems very solid
-Rifts are cool at the higher end, the dynamic events are pretty nifty, although I can't foresee if they will keep my interest.
-Lots of choices and customization.
-The world really feels like it's own world.


Cons:
-Leveling is almost trivial at least to 20.
-Questing flat out sucks. Sorry for those who like "kill 10 of these", that is just plainly not interesting to me.
-Game mechanics aren't as different from games like Wow and DAOC as I would have expected.
-The builds I think will become somewhat cookie cutter - this combo to level the fastest, these ones strong in pvp. This one builds the best meat-shield, these several are good off-tanks. Stuff like that. Not to say there is one, but obviously some lend themselves better to certain applications than others.
____________________________
--------------

DA JYSER
#7 Jan 03 2011 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
raptor675 wrote:
Pros:

Cons:

-The builds I think will become somewhat cookie cutter - this combo to level the fastest, these ones strong in pvp. This one builds the best meat-shield, these several are good off-tanks. Stuff like that. Not to say there is one, but obviously some lend themselves better to certain applications than others.


I agree to a point. I think two-soul combos MIGHT become cookie cutters but I think most people's third soul choice will actually have some sort of variety. At least with warrior. None of the level 0 root abilities are useless. (as far as I can tell) so there will be the main soul, and an off soul with some extra stats and then you can choose almost anything for your third.
#8 Jan 04 2011 at 11:40 AM Rating: Decent
28 posts
Danex317 wrote:
raptor675 wrote:
Pros:

Cons:

-The builds I think will become somewhat cookie cutter - this combo to level the fastest, these ones strong in pvp. This one builds the best meat-shield, these several are good off-tanks. Stuff like that. Not to say there is one, but obviously some lend themselves better to certain applications than others.


I agree to a point. I think two-soul combos MIGHT become cookie cutters but I think most people's third soul choice will actually have some sort of variety. At least with warrior. None of the level 0 root abilities are useless. (as far as I can tell) so there will be the main soul, and an off soul with some extra stats and then you can choose almost anything for your third.


Agreed.
____________________________
--------------

DA JYSER
#9 Jan 13 2011 at 8:07 AM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
Pros

RIFTS! A GM triggered zone wide Rift Invasion is the most epic thing I've seen in an MMO in along time.
The Class System is awesome.
Great Dungeons, the first instance you run "Iron Tombs" is comparable to an end game instance in WoW.
Very Familiar UI/control scheme, they didn't try to re-invent the wheel.
Perfectly paced combat.
Just simply fun.

Cons

The **** General chat is full of people talking about WoW.
The swimming mechanic needs work.
uhm....
hmmm.....
Lemme think...
OH! Uses Gamebryo, which is just a personal gripe of mine, no biggie really.
It isn't march 1st yet.
#10 Jan 13 2011 at 8:33 AM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
Pros

RIFTS! A GM triggered zone wide Rift Invasion is the most epic thing I've seen in an MMO in along time.


Once the beta is over none of the events (with probably a few exceptions once in a while) are GM triggered.
The game will be doing it all on it's own. With no 'higher power' input on anybodies part.

I believe it is podcst 24 that they try to explain this.
http://www.riftpodcast.com/category/podcast
#11 Jan 13 2011 at 8:46 AM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
Danex317 wrote:
KristoFurwalken wrote:
Pros

RIFTS! A GM triggered zone wide Rift Invasion is the most epic thing I've seen in an MMO in along time.


Once the beta is over none of the events (with probably a few exceptions once in a while) are GM triggered.
The game will be doing it all on it's own. With no 'higher power' input on anybodies part.

I believe it is podcst 24 that they try to explain this.
http://www.riftpodcast.com/category/podcast


Well fair enough, but whatever the case may be, if its an Algorithm, a GM, a Fairy, or JC himself spawning it, they are f'king epic. 500 person random raid is all win.

Also the hints of possibly being able to make a raid and enter a rift to another plane in the future is pretty cool.
#12 Jan 29 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Pros: It works, unlike FFXIV

Cons: The animations are outdated and bother me for some reason. When you sheath a sword it should not be 1 frame. The graphics themselves are decent enough, I just need better animation/physics to get into this game more.

I'm only lvl 10 but I hope there's a lot more content than these quests.... which aren't really quests. **** you don't even have to take 10 steps in any direction to complete it. Rifts are cool for now. I could see how they get boring enough though unless there's some kind of motivator to do them later on.

I'm sure there's more deep content, I just need to research up a bit to make sure before I commit to this game.

#13 Jan 29 2011 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
pros:

- extremely polished - (even more than most mmos when they go live)

- excellent class system - Being able to switch in an out of different roles is just great. You can build yourself up with a pet class + buffs to kick *** soloing or switch it up for a nasty DD build in pvp or something in between.

- Rifts - They are for the most part repetitive and not really innovative BUT they are still very fun and they offer an alternative to the normal exp grind. I gained like 5-6 levels just from running around the map hitting invasions/rifts/footholds. And like others said.. the zone wide invasions where we had to get everyone working together to defend was just awesome! I forget how many times i died but it was great.

- Graphics - For me this is actually one of the highlights. They are at times a little lacking compared to other next gen games, but everything runs so smooth(im on a dual core with a 9500gt and run the game on close to max settings). Also the art style and detail they put into designing certain things is very nice. My first time entering Sanctum was epic. Some WoW kid was complaining about the water in chat yesterday. I mean come on don't even go there xD

- Sound/Music -
This was a big one for me. Being a musician myself, in any mmo i ever play the music is a huge aspect for me. I was impressed with the way it all flowed together. Especially the transition from ambient music to fight music. It just felt natural. I love the music in FFXIV but the transition into battle music always felt weird. They nailed it with this game. Besides that the soundtrack is just epic(i wish i could change my preorder to the box edition for it)


Cons:

The "WoW Clone" Issue -
It does resemble WoW sometimes. To me this means nothing, because WoW itself did the exact same thing. They drew influence from EQ(amongst others) and even many asian mmos. The only reason this goes in the Cons, is because of what other people will say about it. Had the game looked a little less like WoW it might bring it a few more people but either way it doesn't bother me at all.

- Character Appearance - My biggest complaint with this game is the character customization when your in the creator. First off i think the selection of hair styles for most races is horrible. My first character was a kelari and i could not make my guy look normal. He always looked retarded with some ridiculous looking hair style. I switched to high elf because they looked a lot better IMO and i can atleast tolerate it now. But in short, i think they could benefit from giving each race some more features,hair styles,etc. Actually to be honest the characters in this game are just plain ugly but i can deal with it.

Honestly those are the only bad things i can even come up with. I ran around town checking out things like the AH, class trainers, professions, etc and everything is just solid. Typical mmo style but there is no need to change it. I haven't tried pvp yet or any instances but i am sure they will be great from hearing others feedback. Did i preorder after only watching videos? Yes. And i am glad i did, i know what build i want and i am ready for release.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1805972[/ffxivsig]
#14 Jan 29 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
The only Con I have had is the Race issue.
There is really only 4 races.
2 different human types, 2 different Elf types, Dwarfs and the Other race that I can't recall the name of.
Personally would have liked to seen more...or maybe just more options t customize your character.


Also I see some have posted it as a Con, but the leveling from 1-20 being fast...that probably won't stick around come Live.
In BETAs companies want you to see the game they are testing. If you had to level at "normal" speed you may not get to see much. And that can be said about RIFT's betas, they have only been a few days long each time.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#15 Jan 29 2011 at 5:33 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
The only Con I have had is the Race issue.
There is really only 4 races.
2 different human types, 2 different Elf types, Dwarfs and the Other race that I can't recall the name of.
Personally would have liked to seen more...or maybe just more options t customize your character.


Also I see some have posted it as a Con, but the leveling from 1-20 being fast...that probably won't stick around come Live.
In BETAs companies want you to see the game they are testing. If you had to level at "normal" speed you may not get to see much. And that can be said about RIFT's betas, they have only been a few days long each time.


I'm not really expecting the pace of leveling to change from 1-20 unless they add in a lot more quests. As it currently stands, right the way up to level 30 if you do a bit of rifting in between quests and the dungeons while you're of the "appropriate" level, you'll run out of quests in a zone at about the perfect time to move on to the next zone. If they increased the amount of xp required to move from one level to the next or reduced quest xp or did anything else to extend the leveling process without adding static content to compensate, you're going to spend a lot of time grinding or rift hunting in the low levels which probably wouldn't go over so well. I actually ran out of quests in Scarlet Gorge at level 28/29, but if I had run the dungeons at the "optimal" level I would have still hit 30 right around the perfect time to be moving on to the next zone.

I'm not disagreeing that it's fast, and my point of view is skewed after 3 months in FFXIV where everything after level 20 is a painful, tedious, soul sucking grind, but I had so much fun over the last two beta events. I'm okay with fast leveling as long as it's fun and there's plenty of stuff to do at the cap, which sounds like it will be the case. After spending so much time in WoW leveling characters so that I could have access to every crafting profession at the cap, I plan to do something similar in Rift (time permitting). If I can get a few characters to the cap before the first expansion (or at least enough of them to cover all the professions), I'll be squared away.
#16 Jan 29 2011 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Aurelius wrote:

my point of view is skewed after 3 months in FFXIV where everything after level 20 is a painful, tedious, soul sucking grind


Sounds just like FFXI. When I quit that and went to WoW I was just head over heels at how fast I was able to level in WoW.

And I actually don't mind if the EXP for 1-30 is fast. I won't be the 1st to level cap. I won't be at cap within the 1st week.
But knowing I won't be too far behind people weeks after is a nice thought.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#17 Jan 29 2011 at 9:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
42 posts
Might as well chime in as this was my second beta in rift:

Pros:
Classes lots of classes then throw in the souls combos, this is a altaholics wet dream, I honestly do not think there will be cookie cutter builds or at least not for a long time. I play a Nightblade and had an another player say to me isn't that just a rogue filler, then when we finished the instance he was like wow you pumped out major dps.

Rifts, flat out amazing having 50 people fighting an epic mob that just randomly spawned, and everyone gets loot, no raid time no no shows for the raid, it just randomly happened and I made 2 new firends from it.

Instances are well laid out and awesome looking, also no need for LF prot warrior, most tank classes can tank, I watched this Rogue riftstalker tank Fae was like omg that is awesome.

Questing is questing whether it is WoW, EQII AoC quests are quests but tI liked the sotry line and they flowed very well.

PvP was fun and quick in the warfronts

Social aspect, the rifts bring people together more then any game I have seen in a long long time

Devs flat out rock
Cons
It is not out yet
I would like to see a little more variation on the armor skins
It is not out yet
as one other poster said general chat was flat out annoying but I guess that is to be expected.

Hope that helps, oh just a FYI the Devs have stated xp gain has been increased for beta so people can test the content

Edited, Jan 29th 2011 10:41pm by Dreadblade
#18 Jan 30 2011 at 4:18 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
Beta5 <Shadefallen Shard> lvl 20 Warrior Mordamere.

PROs:
1. patching was seemless downtime minimal to nonexsisting, we do remember old days of 6 to 11 hour patching and nowadays up to 45min patching then the emergency fix to help the patching = massive down time, RIFT? I blinked and done. if that type of fixes is the norm then about time in this day and age .

2.the Issue of Involving the Community: you know players? good, you dont know anyone? good, it doesn't matter in RIFT, you see an event, a special encounter? you're not left out in the rain get in there and do your thing, just join "PUBLIC group which automatically turns to raid as players keep joining! thats AWSOME! Whether you came early to the encounter or you came late as heck you still get auto loot, XP even achievements can count if your toon has met requirements ( loot and XP is dependant of your contribution since encounter took place ).
No more sitting out of events cause someone came in with their guild or friends and gank'd it all .

3. I enjoy'd CR's ( corpse run/ err going back to place where you got pwn'd , push'd daisies, died ), though you can rez self at a penalty at graveyard. also love feature if Soul at 100% you can have an outof body exp where you died reposition self to spawn.

4. Best and Unique to RIFT: the class system! Ever wonder why your beloved class is not in your current MMO or worst class is there but gimp'd? nerf'd or traditional abilities strip'd from normal talent? ....... well in this game that will only happen if you let it happen! you pick a base class to work with ; whether you like warrior, cleric, rogue or magic user , build from there!
like a Necro's pet? take it, enchanters CC use it... it's hard to explain but the possibilities are insane.

5.PVP is there in all its bloodshed but PVE is there aswell , and encounters, questing in there traditional MMO layout OR all of it simoultaneously.

CONS: need more Nodes for crafting
It not out yet : ) need my fix

Can't wait to get back in there *twitch *twitch
#19 Jan 30 2011 at 10:10 PM Rating: Decent
KristoFurwalken wrote:


Cons

The **** General chat is full of people talking about WoW.
The swimming mechanic needs work.



So true. However, the WoW issue is merely a problem of beta, and not an actual game flaw. Frankly if someone wants to drop 75 bucks for a month and game purchase just to troll in live, they can have fun flushing their cash down the toilet for a modicum of puerile enjoyment.

Swimming isn't too bad, it could be much worse. Space bar jumping in the water is my only real gripe... however that's best left to the actual feedback forums.
#20 Jan 30 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
SixVoltSamurai wrote:
KristoFurwalken wrote:


Cons

The **** General chat is full of people talking about WoW.
The swimming mechanic needs work.



So true. However, the WoW issue is merely a problem of beta, and not an actual game flaw. Frankly if someone wants to drop 75 bucks for a month and game purchase just to troll in live, they can have fun flushing their cash down the toilet for a modicum of puerile enjoyment.

Swimming isn't too bad, it could be much worse. Space bar jumping in the water is my only real gripe... however that's best left to the actual feedback forums.


Unless they fixed it, pet's don't swim at all. They just walk behind you. I agree with the jumping though.

And Pro:

Daily's are actually meant to be done by anybody any time and I don't think will ever become outdated. Just convenient if you are stuck at a level for a few days you have a little rift quest to do.

EDIT: Oh and Public Grouping! AWESOME!!! Can be annoying if 5 man groups turn into raid groups which has happened to be people trying to do instances but for the sake of rifts it is just all kinds of awesome.

Edited, Jan 30th 2011 11:17pm by Danex317
#21 Jan 31 2011 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
*
64 posts
Ive seen a couple people saying the graphics don't look polished and there crappy? Its the beta they haven't released all the shaders and textures yet to keep the game small enough to dl in a decent amount of time. just like all the content hasn't been released for that same reason..This isn't a pre view of a finished game...this is a beta to test the server load and basic problems, witch we have seen when they load the servers up there was some decent amount of lag and they were able to fix that within the first 10 hours of beta launch and only being down for a half hour compared to some other games ive seen been down for an entire day *cough* every tuesday.

So far this is what ive found to be a con in the game play:

- My biggest problem is there is no rated team PvP so there isnt going to be a draw for the PvP hounds or people that are just competitive. So the skill lvl in PvP is going to be real low

- When the games moves forward all the low lvl areas will be overrun with invasions and such and not enough low lvl players to mop them up

- The quests are very boring just another grind/they should have added a larger amount of pvp quests or exp from the pvp

- There are really only 4 classes to pick from (i know there is a ton of variation in those classes but 2 more would have been nice)

- Pets don't re spawn with you when u die in a warfront. i know this is stupid and trivial but i hate resing my pet every time you die in a warfront. sometimes you never die sometimes you die 15 times and i hate waiting for that res bar after the res timer its self

- Pets don't come back when u call them back if you attack another target. If the pets 'master' gives it an order it should override the agr,def,pas stance of the pet till he for-fills the order

- Instances start pretty complex (i like this my self as i don't like how easy low lvl instances are in other games no challenge) But to a new player or someone who hasn't played this style of game to much this could be a major downer for them. It's tough to find a instance group at end game if you arn't competent/geared what happens when every instance you try to do is like this?

Pro's

- Rift's This is probably the most interesting addition to an mmo ive seen in a while. Im in no way a 'PvER' and i found my self running to every rift for the amazing exp and loots

- Invasions kinda go inline with rifts but in a way they don't..sure the invasion starts with a rift but these NPC's Leave the rift areas and try to take over the factions city's witch forces the players of that zone to play together witch is awesome. every other mmo i played at low lvl you don't get to play with other players very often (instances, and organized pvp)so this is a major bonus

- join public group!!! awesome idea u run up to the rift hit this nifty button and bam your in the raid kickin ***. This works very well..The only thing i can see need's a change with this function is once u wander off by your self again it should auto un-group you. (say your 200 feet from the nearest party member for 30 seconds, or just give you a prompt to leave once the rift is over)

- Questing has been made fairly easy, you dont have to read an entire quest log and guess where you have to go. Witch is a major bonus bc then people like me who are interested in just killing people and things and get to doing that much quicker & we dont miss that story line and completely loose out on the game's lore

- Warfronts are fun (pretty much a battleground) unfortunately the area of the warfront the was available never really got used. The first couple round i played i thought it was only the main middle area that was usable until i later chased a defender though a lil hole int he wall then i discovered the rest of the massive area...They just need to put the fang on a random spawn to force use to use the entire playable area

- Another positive about warfronts is the smallest/shortest one dosnt take 30 mins to play. witch is awesome sometimes you just dont have the time to sit down for 30 mins to catch a bit of pvp so this is an up that there are nice short engagements also

- World PvP is going to be much more then just ganking in lowbie towns, I helped take place in pushing a couple rift invasions right up into towns witch was awesome...jumping the healers while there tryin to keep there group up and helping the NPC's bust the lines was a really new experience compared to the im lvl 50 and your lvl 30 YOU DEAD! although that dose have its fun to

anyways those are just some of the thoughts i had when i saw the post

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 11:08am by Hemptation
#22 Jan 31 2011 at 11:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Hemp, not to naysay your cons, but...
Quote:
When the games moves forward all the low lvl areas will be overrun with invasions and such and not enough low lvl players to mop them up


According to Trion, the spawn mechanics for rifts will vary the amount based on the population of a zone. This should keep areas from being overrun. Also, if a zone event is lost (as happened to the Defiants on my server in Stonefield... twice), the enemies get progressively weaker over time, making the retaking of an outpost rather easy.
Quote:
There are really only 4 classes to pick from (i know there is a ton of variation in those classes but 2 more would have been nice)

What other archetypes would you add? I'm curious, because at first I thought the same... and then could think of nothing else.
Quote:
Pets don't re spawn with you when u die in a warfront. i know this is stupid and trivial but i hate resing my pet every time you die in a warfront. sometimes you never die sometimes you die 15 times and i hate waiting for that res bar after the res timer its self

Not sure if it's similar for other pet classes, but my Necromancer has a 1 minute cooldown instant-cast pet res. I've heard that other pet classes have the same. This would only be an issue if you don't put a lot of points in your pet class, I suppose. But honestly my pet dies off way too quick anyway to be useful in warfronts. I mostly send him in and then just sit in the back DoTing and healing.
Quote:
Pets don't come back when u call them back if you attack another target. If the pets 'master' gives it an order it should override the agr,def,pas stance of the pet till he for-fills the order

Are you sure? The only thing I can think of is You pushed Ctrl 2 (the return to owner command) and then attacked another target (which automatically issues a Ctrl 1, attack command). You just need to push Ctrl 2 again, because when you attack something else for the first time it also sends out a pet attack command. As "Return" isn't on a global cooldown it's not too tough to do. That would be a lot of the same command if you tab/target a lot, I suppose. Perhaps there's a way to turn off auto-pet-attack? If not, feedback forums!
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#23 Jan 31 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Aurelius wrote:

my point of view is skewed after 3 months in FFXIV where everything after level 20 is a painful, tedious, soul sucking grind


Sounds just like FFXI. When I quit that and went to WoW I was just head over heels at how fast I was able to level in WoW.

And I actually don't mind if the EXP for 1-30 is fast. I won't be the 1st to level cap. I won't be at cap within the 1st week.
But knowing I won't be too far behind people weeks after is a nice thought.


I've been poking around to find out what the scoop is on leveling speed because right now it seems to be tuned about perfect for finishing out the quests in a zone at the ideal time to be moving on to the next zone. So far all I've found is a handful of people who swear up and down that the pace of leveling has been increased for beta so people can level up quickly and test the content, but nobody can reference any official statement saying that's the case. If I had to guess, I'd say that Trion realizes that most people aren't interested in a prolonged leveling experience so they're focusing their energies on endgame activities and that the pace of leveling we're seeing is what we're going to see at release.
#24 Jan 31 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
*
64 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Hemp, not to naysay your cons, but...


According to Trion, the spawn mechanics for rifts will vary the amount based on the population of a zone. This should keep areas from being overrun. Also, if a zone event is lost (as happened to the Defiants on my server in Stonefield... twice), the enemies get progressively weaker over time, making the retaking of an outpost rather easy.


this i did not know..thats a good concept except then if your the only player in the area u will never see a rift...so that gos both ways to much and to little

Quote:

What other archetypes would you add? I'm curious, because at first I thought the same... and then could think of nothing else.


i would have to say a unique class to each faction - demons for defiants - Magic/melee with tanking/dps souls, there only 3 classes that can tank in the game
angelic for guardians - Holy/ranged with healing/cc souls there is only 1 primary healing class in the game

i no those to dont fit the lore there just examples..just pick a name for them and fit them in with ideas that havent been used..not to hard the chars are very basic

war -meele dps/tank
claric -magic heal/tank
mage - magic dps/cc
rouge -melee/range dps/tank

Quote:

Not sure if it's similar for other pet classes, but my Necromancer has a 1 minute cooldown instant-cast pet res. I've heard that other pet classes have the same. This would only be an issue if you don't put a lot of points in your pet class, I suppose. But honestly my pet dies off way too quick anyway to be useful in warfronts. I mostly send him in and then just sit in the back DoTing and healing.
Quote:
Pets don't come back when u call them back if you attack another target. If the pets 'master' gives it an order it should override the agr,def,pas stance of the pet till he for-fills the order

Are you sure? The only thing I can think of is You pushed Ctrl 2 (the return to owner command) and then attacked another target (which automatically issues a Ctrl 1, attack command). You just need to push Ctrl 2 again, because when you attack something else for the first time it also sends out a pet attack command. As "Return" isn't on a global cooldown it's not too tough to do. That would be a lot of the same command if you tab/target a lot, I suppose. Perhaps there's a way to turn off auto-pet-attack? If not, feedback forums!


for rouges it takes 4 or 5 seconds to summon and 100% of our energy and if you spec into ranger you pet is allot of your dmg/ control so casting it each time you spawn is a pain in the ***, now if your pet dosnt die before you die it will spawn with you witch is very strange..

and in regards to the commands this is what i mentioned the players commands of the pets should over ride any passive controls(that auto ctrl+1 your tanking about) that are happening until that players command is completed.

EG. your pets on defensive (attacks when you do) you attack a target he attacks the target. you call him back and your auto attack attack the same target he runs back right away, No that should not happen..he attacks the target you call him back pet for fills the command to come back then the passive controls should come back into control he the pet attacks on your next attack. The players command should always be more important then a passive control and i shouldnt have to mash the follow button to make him run back to me.


Edited, Jan 31st 2011 12:43pm by Hemptation
#25 Jan 31 2011 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
I see your point Hemp, and might agree with you. However, I feel like it should be relatively straightforward to get used to the current system and be able to hit that ctl+2 (or customized hotkey) any time you issue an attack command. Annoying, perhaps. But doable? Definitely.

Then again, I'm not playing a pet class so I can't be sure.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#26 Jan 31 2011 at 4:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:

Quote:
Pets don't re spawn with you when u die in a warfront. i know this is stupid and trivial but i hate resing my pet every time you die in a warfront. sometimes you never die sometimes you die 15 times and i hate waiting for that res bar after the res timer its self

Not sure if it's similar for other pet classes, but my Necromancer has a 1 minute cooldown instant-cast pet res. I've heard that other pet classes have the same. This would only be an issue if you don't put a lot of points in your pet class, I suppose. But honestly my pet dies off way too quick anyway to be useful in warfronts. I mostly send him in and then just sit in the back DoTing and healing.


Beastmaster has a 8 second cast time on their pet no cooldown. I didn't have any trouble overriding my pets agg/def/pas stance.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (11)