Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Rift - could it be everything ffxiv is not? (was forum=152)Follow

#1 Jan 22 2011 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I just learned about the new MMO Rift this week (I live in a cave sometimes I guess). It only took me two days of reading previews, watching videos, and reading the forums to get the overwhelming feeling that this game could be everything that FFXIV is not.... and it's being released in just one month.

I get the feeling that the developers of Rift "get it". This game seems to have a bit of everything that we are all asking for. In fact, when you watch developer interviews - that's exactly what they say their goal is. They took the best parts of all successful MMO's and attempted to implement them into one game.

The graphics are really nice looking. The fantasy "style" seems to be in the same ballpark as final fantasy, with a few more fireworks. By that I mean the ability and spell animations appear to be pretty intense (I like it!).

The reports back from the Beta users are very good so far (I just got accepted to the next beta starting on Tuesday - thanks ZAM for the VP keys you just posted).

This game is allegedly full of mini quests, large scale PvE, raids, and a unique implementation of PvP. They seem to have managed to accommodate just about every play style preference. Oh, they supposedly have a "robust" crafting system as well.

Side note: They even have a Beastmaster class! Reportedly the pet AI is already very good. This probably means nothing to most people, but I'm really pumped to have the opportunity to be a Beastmaster again.

Of course one of my first orders of business was to do a forum search regarding the economy. I was pleased to find a quick thread stating that there is an AH that works pretty seamlessly. In fact, here is the quote from the exact response I read:

Quote:
"Rift AH works. I listed in it. Stuff bought comes as email nearby at box. Pricing is initial, current bid, and buyout price. No complaints. Very clean so far. I'm sure we will find something to ask to enhance going forward...”


When I read that I kind of chuckled at how simple this part of an MMO is supposed to be. I pictured the Rift director telling one of his programming groups to implement an AH similar to the other MMOs that are having success. A few weeks later its done and they move on to the more important aspects of the game design. Yet here is SE months and month and months into this disaster still "tweaking" their game-changing (and game-breaking) market system, and ignoring their dwindling player base's cries for a simple AH. They are literally on their death bed, finally agreeing to consider looking into the possibility of implementing an AH - but first, a few more adjustments to the retainer system!

Another point worth considering is that the developers, and the servers, are based in the US. This is an important distinction for me coming from spending the past 7 years of my life playing SE MMOs. Of course if you do not live in the US, then this is probably a moot point. For what its worth, the servers are physically located in Dallas, TX.

So I got a beta key, signed up for a Trion account. Again, I had to laugh at how simple this process was as compared to the SE account sign-up process. I downloaded the client and now its updating at nearly 3MB/sec (pretty much maxing out what I get from my isp).

I'm really curios to see how well it runs on my machine (5770 i7 930 6GB) considering how average ffxiv runs. I have not really noticed any threads about system requirements and people having to make massive upgrades to run the game - so my guess is that it will run better than FFXIV, but again that is only speculation on my part for now.

Why am I posting this? Maybe this is considered trolling, I don't know. But I figured that if one or two people read this, and they try Rift and it turns out to be their new MMO for years to come - then it was worth posting. Considering I made it this long without knowing about Rift, I assumed there might be a couple more people out there overlooking this potential gem.

Take care.


Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 10:05am by Mithsavvy

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 10:11am by Mithsavvy
#2 Jan 22 2011 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
****
6,899 posts
I'd be very curious to hear what you think about Rift and how it compares to ffxiv. I too have had some mild interest in Rift, after hearing the rave beta reviews and how the developers have actually been listening to their players somewhat. Once you try out the beta, I'd encourage you to post back here with your findings in comparison to ffxiv. There will probably be people here that will think you are posting in the wrong place or berate you for talking about something that's not FF related, but really I think it would be nice to get a comparison to ffxiv.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#3 Jan 22 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I would not normally make a thread like this. However, I was one of the most loyal FFXI players and for the past 7 years I just knew I was going to stick with FFXIV no matter what. After slowing coming around to the fact that there are a LOT of good (great) games out now, and being released just around the corner, I felt like I was doing myself a disservice by clinging to FFXIV in hopes that it "gets better".

When I look around and see a game like Rift - and quickly realize that if the title of "Rift" was actually "FFXIV" I would have been beyond ecstatic with what I am seeing. So for me personally, maybe its time to let go of the final fantasy name for awhile and give something else a chance. Logically, it only makes sense.

#4 Jan 22 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
I played the Open Beta and thought it was horrible. Nice graphics, ineresting concept with the Rifts, decent storyline. But everything else put me to sleep. I hate saying WoW clone, but .....yea..... WoW clone with a twist. Just my thoughts though, maybe it is God's gift to MMORPGs to others. Can definately see WoW fans that are looking for a next generationish WoW game trying it. Sometimes it can be a good thing to update and expand upon a good working design, rather than re-inventing the wheel. Just as I would have been OK with FFXI-2, because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#5MajidahSihaam, Posted: Jan 22 2011 at 10:27 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
#6 Jan 22 2011 at 10:32 AM Rating: Default
*
69 posts
Just another extreme themepark hand holding wow clone.


WOW is a sandbox when you compare it to Rift.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1828056[/ffxivsig]
#7 Jan 22 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
539 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

That is the wards. To copy and paste an AH on every mmorpg you make derails innovation and originality.


I don't understand this line of thought. Why is an AH so integral in something being new and innovative? I don't think basics need to be innovative. The foundation of a game can pull from things that worked before, giving developers a strong platform to leap off of and try other new things. AH does not automatically mean "clone" , it's simply a useful (and very basic) economic tool. Other things can be 'innovative', not something so fundamental.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]995017[/ffxivsig]
#8 Jan 22 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Decent
Rift is another copy/paste version of WoW with better graphics. This happened already with Lords of the Rings Online AND Warhammer Online. Titles with much stronger names than Rift and still failed miserably to the point they had to rethink the game subscription due to lack of subscribers.

Yes it looks nice and all but before LOTRO and WAR were released you could her pretty much the same. You know what happened after. Any game that uses WoW system will fail because there will be a correlation with a game that has 6 years with content and stability.
#9 Jan 22 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
**
265 posts
i have a VIP pass to play it. Is it bad...nope, but its pretty much a ton like WoW with some WAR ideas thrown in and multi skill trees per archtype. Most people who have played know that its nothing really new, more of the same, but well polished and solid over all.

I personally dont care for it, too many factors that are already available in other games.
#10 Jan 22 2011 at 10:40 AM Rating: Decent
21 posts
I guess it is in Beta but Rift looks pretty poor in terms of graphics and animations to me. Didn't look very immersive or original really either.

I am curious what anyone trying the beta thinks though.

Kinda don't wanna start another mmorpg just to grind again when i only just got 1 job to 50 in this.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1817758[/ffxivsig]
#11 Jan 22 2011 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Rift really flew under my radar for this year. It seems that GW2, LOTOR, DCUO were the big ones, and that tera would be the "sleeper" game. I really hadn't heard much about it, but from what I've read it certainly sounds like rift may be the first game to take the best from the old, and throw something new on top of it, and doing it well enough to achieve commercial success doing so.

Frankly though, testimonials aside, nothing I've seen from the game interests me much, and what FFXIV has made apparent, I don't give a crap what the developers intent is, as long as they are producing a game I like. I'll be waiting to see rift at release before I even consider it, for me its a potential backup for TOR or DCU.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]971172[/ffxivsig]
#12 Jan 22 2011 at 10:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Well, to be fair, there is quite a number of intriguing MMORPGs upcoming.
RIFT is just one of them, well polished, but not really "new" as far as I can tell.
TERA has a combat system that is... well... all I ever hoped for in FF.
Too bad the art style is a complete deal breaker (for me).
#13 Jan 22 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
I have a VIP Rift beta key, if anybody wants in, just PM me, the key can be used 25 times :P
____________________________
MUTED
#14 Jan 22 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
BartelX wrote:
I'd be very curious to hear what you think about Rift and how it compares to ffxiv. I too have had some mild interest in Rift, after hearing the rave beta reviews and how the developers have actually been listening to their players somewhat. Once you try out the beta, I'd encourage you to post back here with your findings in comparison to ffxiv. There will probably be people here that will think you are posting in the wrong place or berate you for talking about something that's not FF related, but really I think it would be nice to get a comparison to ffxiv.


I can actually give you a beta key if you wanna try for yourself, just PM me if you want one. I think I have about 40-50 left.

Edit:
That goes for anyone really. I'm giving away about 20 to my guild in WoW and the rest I'm just going to spam out to ppl I know, so lemme know if you want one, they will go pretty fast.

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 12:00pm by KristoFurwalken
#15 Jan 22 2011 at 11:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
I have a VIP key for it, tried it out, felt like every other MMO I currently play down to the text used and couldn't bring myself to log back into it. It just didn't feel any different, it's why I think if anything XIV has the potential to be something "different" which is why I'm waiting to see how it turns out.

____________________________

#16 Jan 22 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
28 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

That is the wards. To copy and paste an AH on every mmorpg you make derails innovation and originality.


A car with square wheels isn't innovative, its garbage.
#17 Jan 22 2011 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Admittedly, I never played WoW. I tried LOTRO and it did get boring after a month. I suppose there's a chance I could be one of the gozillion people that would enjoy WoW (despite loving ffxi) - so maybe this game (Rift) will be fun for me.

Regardless, my epiphany remains. Whether it be Rift or something else, there are too many good games out there to keep waiting for FFXI-2 which probably isn't coming anyway.

Never heard of TERA. Might have to read up on it.

Thanks for the feedback from those of you who have some opinions on Rift.

#18TheonVenethiel, Posted: Jan 22 2011 at 11:20 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) It's the same art style of FFXIV,anime.
#19 Jan 22 2011 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
77 posts
I laughed when you said that Rift's art style was like FFXIV's but with a little more fireworks.

Even if a Western MMO was really really good, it would be something about the art style that turns me away everytime. It hurts me because i'm an western artist and i wonder if i'm doomed to fall into generic tendecies.
#20 Jan 22 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Good
*
211 posts
Ahh... Reading your post raised my hopes considerably.

I thought to myself; well gee, maybe this awesome new game he speaks of would be a great thing to play for a year or two while FFXIV evolves to where it is going. I can already tell FFXIV is a great game, it just lacks content and some tweaks which the new team have already announced are being worked on as we speak. A matter of time before I'm completely satisfied with it is my current bet. But... Yes, if there was a good alternative, I'd play that in the meantime. Currently only about 1-3 non mmo's come along per year that I actually enjoy, and they don't last long enough to replace mmo's for me. The 2nd half of last year gave me nothing to play at all past FFXIV, so I've been doing a lot less gaming lately.

The last mmo I really enjoyed was FFXI, 3+ years ago. Since then I briefly tried WoW for a couple months because some friends bugged me to try it, and I couldn't stop complaining about it. The leveling process was mediocre, and kind of fun with some friends, but it was just far too shallow, and the endgame was a joke. The PvP isn't my thing, and the community was more like a plague than a population. The character, gear, and crafting mechanics were all terrible. Really, the highlight of the game was the novel selection of mounts and toy items to choose from, and the bane to that highlight is that most of the good ones either required incredibly tedious rep grinds(looking at you frostsaber) or the purchase of those retarded WoW trading cards and/or special codes randomly given out by blizzard.

FFXIV is not yet everything I want it to be, not yet at least, but the planned content and promise of future additions raise my hopes, and the important thing is that I have fun playing it, and have met a lot of people who I enjoy playing it with.

So anyways... I went and looked up gameplay of this Rift game, with high hopes after reading the OP's post... And all I can say... Is that it looks like a terrible game, at least for me. They seemed to have pulled 90% of the mechanics from WoW, which as I said was just not the game for me.. And all the things that make me love FF mmo's were nowhere to be seen. So thanks for raising my hopes and then promptly dashing them. Rift is certainly looking like it will be everything FFXIV is not, in the worst way possible, the same way WoW is everything FFXI was not.
____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g

[ffxivsig]1791330[/ffxivsig]


#21 Jan 22 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
Of course its going to be what XIV is NOT. Rift = pvp heavy game. XIV = pve and immersion. Why even compare them. And why not play both?
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1805972[/ffxivsig]
#22Hyanmen, Posted: Jan 22 2011 at 11:43 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Why.. why did you... why?
#23 Jan 22 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
I'm just going to pop in and agree with what many people have already said. Rift looks and plays almost identically to WoW, right down to the art style on the buttons to the icons for the various classes (because how else can you represent a rogue except by a green dagger pointing to the lower-left, right!?). I looked into playing a Bard in Rift, thinking that I'd get to be a support class somewhat similar to FFXIV, but by "Bard" they just mean "we swapped a sword for a lute, now spam abilities every four seconds like you were any other melee..."

Rift has nothing I want, or most anyone else, really; most people would play WoW if they wanted WoW, not yet another knock-off game. I guess, for those who really like WoW but who are sick of playing it, Rift offers another iteration of the same formula, which could appeal to some people.

But it's very naive to act like what Rift is doing has never been done before. With regard to the initial question, whether it "could be everything FFXIV is not," in many ways it is, because just almost everything about Rift is WoW.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#24 Jan 22 2011 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
260 posts
Having really enjoyed LOTRO I like Rift a lot. It's admittedly a little too easy (such as quest givers being marked. I LIKE running around town getting to know the locals. Sooner or later I will stumbled of the guy who wants me go fetch something for him on my own) and it does have a linear quality to it where you progress to new areas as you level up (something I always like about ffxi and xiv, multiple bases for low levels)

But on the other side the Rift occurrences themselves are really intense. Its like behest on crack. Everyone wants in on the party. There are tons of people playing and they were really friendly in terms of helping out when I was having problems with the UI or needed another body for a quest.

It will be interesting to see how the game progresses (I am not quite to level 20 yet) but at the very least I suspect I will be doing as a poster above me and using it to keep myself occupied while the devs work on ffxiv.

-Teeg
____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
#25 Jan 22 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
I'm in beta for Rift and have pre-ordered it. I'll be playing Rift and FFXIV...more Rift than 14 until FFxiv is "complete", however long that takes...then I'll probably drop Rift all together. But Rift a fun eye candy type game with a lot of fluid action and theres no way I'm going back and playing WoW. To me, the visuals are are a EQ2 clone, not WoW. The UI is a WoW clone but thats fine...because I can are less about the UI as long as it works.

But no..Rift is not going to replace FF. But it sure looks a lot better than all the other MMOs coming out.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#26 Jan 22 2011 at 12:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
179 posts
to OP
I'm not going to tell you the BS about these are 2 different games targeting different customer.
yes, Rift is everything FFXIV is not, but that's not the point, why people come here to talk about FFXIV, even in its worst conditions?

simple, they love FF, they lived with it for very long time and they trust that one day it will become the game they all want, a game that they lived with in FFXI for very long time, that's why people are here.
sure some want just to have fun and play a game regardless of who made it as long as it's fun and they enjoy it, but others want to play FF and nothing else.

when the developers of FFXIV ignore us and don't do what we want and think is fun, then at this point you will see even fan boys leave (and this is not happening, they are working hard to make it fun).

when we said we want AH, the old developer didn't want to, but the new one said we will study it, when we said we want mini and side quests, the old developer said we have guildleve but the new one said sure we are going to implement it.

I will try Rift, but until they fix FFXIV, then am coming back, why? I love FF and trust they are going to fix FFXIV to the point it will be much better than any game I played, even FFXI. that's what I believe.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]293070[/ffxivsig]
#27 Jan 22 2011 at 1:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Ive only got to play Beta Rift very little but the little i played i enjoyed.It may very well be true that Rift is a WoW clone but never having played Wow before i wouldn't know.But i really liked the customization of the characters with the soul trees with so many combo's you can make your character very unique.That is the part of FFXIV at first i was so interested in being able to use all jobs abilities and have a unique character unfortunately thus far i have felt the job system is very lackluster in FFXIV.

My favorite job in all FF titles has always been blackmage and i'm yet to feel like one in FF.But in Rift i felt like one immediately,i still have high hopes for FFXIV especially with all the updates and changes they announced will be coming in the future.I will continue to play FFXIV but i already pre-ordered Rift and would recommend it to anyone looking for a change of pace.
#28 Jan 22 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
I gotta be honest... I went into Rift with a very open mind and it felt just like a WoW clone to me with better graphics. Actually, more like a War Hammer (WoW clone) clone, lol. The gameplay is the system, the menus are the same, the pacing is the same, the atmosphere is the same.

If there's nothing else good that can be said about XIV, at least I can say this: it has a 'unique' feeling when compared to most of these other WoW-like games on the market. And guess what happens to WoW clones? They're very popular at first because they have improved on WoW's formula, but within a half a year you see their popularity really drop off. Why? Because there are no new ideas there, and it is such ideas that allow a MMO to endure. Take War Hammer for example: I *heard* (this could be wrong) there's only like 50k paid subscribers there these days. Yikes.

However, I am pumped for Guild Wars 2. The game looks incredible-- it is deep, polished, and much prettier than Rift. My recommendation is to just let Rift pass just and wait to see how GW2 turns out (if you want something different from XIV, that is).

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 1:47pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#29 Jan 22 2011 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
The thread title holds true- rift is really everything ffxiv is not.

At the same time, ffxiv is everything rift is not.

I'll stick around. All the single player games coming out will keep me busy until the Fall.

I mean, have you looked at what SE is doing to PSP? First Tactics Ogre remake, then maybe The 3rd Birthday, Dissidia: Duodecim, later in the summer Final Fantasy Type 0...

Frankly, I have no desire to play an MMORPG right now.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#30 Jan 22 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Quote:
Frankly, I have no desire to play an MMORPG right now.


I haven't logged into XIV since the 18th, and probably won't again for about a month, simply because of LBP2. It really gets my creative juices flowing! On a similarly dirty sounding note, I'm fairly certain I'm close to developing a sack-person fetish.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#31 Jan 22 2011 at 2:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Well, I do have a desire to play an MMO right now. Every time I start playing FFXIV, I stop after a week. Why? Because it's still not fun and don't feel confident that it will get to be fun before better games hit the market. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm probably going to try Rift because I don't really know what it means to be a WoW clone. Besides, the word "clone" is an exaggeration. Considering WoW is the most popular MMO the world has ever seen, it might be interesting to keep trying so-called WoW clones until someone manages to build off what WoW has done and make the not-so-great aspects of it better. I just get the feeling that the quick-trigger, "just another wow clone" label can be a little bit unfair and cause some people to miss out on a chance to get in early on some really good games in the future.

Many of you watch the video, or play the Beta some, and call it a WoW clone. But when you elaborate, you talk about the AH, the battle, the user interface, etc. You name all the things that WoW did pretty well. Most of the things I hear that people hate about WoW (too easy, immature players, nothing but raiding at end-game) won't be known about Rift until the game has been out for awhile.

On top of that, you have to look at a game's evolution. If Rift starts with a solid foundation, how will they build off of that in the future? I see FFXI and what it became over the years. It was a totally different game when I quit last year than it was when I started. The things I am seeing and hearing about the Trion development team makes me feel like Rift can succeed.

Maybe it won't succeed at all. But Rift is being released in one month, and for $50 I just assume not sit idle for the next 6 months waiting for FFXIV to get better (which isn't a guarantee) or hoping GW2 turns out to be my cup of tea, or whatever else is supposedly coming at the end of the year. If Rift provides only one or two months of fun before turning into "every other wow clone", then at least I learned a little more about what not to try in the future. However, if it turns out to be something better than that - I will be happy that I didn't waste any time having fun and got in at the beginning of a good game. For me, there is little risk in trying it out - especially based on what I've seen so far.

And for the record, I'm not tossing my copy of FFXIV in the trash. I would like nothing more than to see waves of rave re-reviews after the ps3 release.



#32 Jan 22 2011 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
taningard wrote:
I guess it is in Beta but Rift looks pretty poor in terms of graphics and animations to me. Didn't look very immersive or original really either.



This is what I think. I read reviews, watched hours of video on this game, and talked to a friend that's in beta. Although they have their own story/concept with rifting and a more customizable talent tree, it really doesn't feel like anything revolutionary to me. I was into when I first heard about it months ago, but as time went on and I saw more info/videos I just lost interest. If SE actually follows through with the updates Yoshida set forth for FFXIV, I feel it's going to be much stronger in terms or originality and immersion.

edit* There's a good chance a February update may sway people from venturing into Rift in march when it's released. SE should definitely keep this in mind.

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 3:27pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#33 Jan 22 2011 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
****
6,899 posts
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
Rift is another copy/paste version of WoW with better graphics. This happened already with Lords of the Rings Online AND Warhammer Online. Titles with much stronger names than Rift and still failed miserably to the point they had to rethink the game subscription due to lack of subscribers.

Yes it looks nice and all but before LOTRO and WAR were released you could her pretty much the same. You know what happened after. Any game that uses WoW system will fail because there will be a correlation with a game that has 6 years with content and stability.


Please leave lotro out of things you clearly don't understand. Lotro has been one of the most successful non-WoW mmo's that has been released in the past decade. Also, while it does have some similarities to WoW, the playstyle, level of difficulty, incredible narrative, and FAR superior graphics set it miles apart imo. The only reason it went F2P was because they realized that they could be making more money from it on a micro-transaction level, and actually they still allow players to keep paying a monthly fee the way they used to if they are so inclined. Please don't post about things you have no clue about.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#34 Jan 22 2011 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
Not only did they take 85% of their mechanics from WoW, the even took the murlocs too. Better graphics is the only arguement people say when denying it's a WoW clone, but there's no hiding the fact that it's just another gear grind game.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1807212[/ffxivsig]
#35 Jan 22 2011 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
Transmigration wrote:
taningard wrote:
I guess it is in Beta but Rift looks pretty poor in terms of graphics and animations to me. Didn't look very immersive or original really either.



This is what I think. I read reviews, watched hours of video on this game, and talked to a friend that's in beta. Although they have their own story/concept with rifting and a more customizable talent tree, it really doesn't feel like anything revolutionary to me. I was into when I first heard about it months ago, but as time went on and I saw more info/videos I just lost interest. If SE actually follows through with the updates Yoshida set forth for FFXIV, I feel it's going to be much stronger in terms or originality and immersion.

edit* There's a good chance a February update may sway people from venturing into Rift in march when it's released. SE should definitely keep this in mind.

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 3:27pm by Transmigration


The underlined part is where I have a bit of an issue. Not trying to argue over opinions, but a lot of people seem to be confused, that Revolutionary = good. I wonder if you think FFXIV is/was revolutionary? And if you do, you also realize it was really, really bad right?

They went in the exact opposite direction as everyone else in the industry, in every area. And not one single good review, a hemorrhaging player base, overall negative community. Being different, is only good when the standard is bad.
#36 Jan 22 2011 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
*
71 posts
OMG they are copy pasting the good stuff from other games! not original! i want something new and broken!

Rift has a simple idea which FFXIV should have thought about. If it aint broke dont fix it. The ideas they are taken from other games arent broken idea, now if rift decided to take some ideas from FFXIV then we would be having a lot of problems..but then again not really because the devs listen to feed back really fast.
#38 Jan 22 2011 at 2:40 PM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
Spyrit178 wrote:
Not only did they take 85% of their mechanics from WoW, the even took the murlocs too. Better graphics is the only arguement people say when denying it's a WoW clone, but there's no hiding the fact that it's just another gear grind game.



Once again, someone showing a clear lack of gaming knowledge.....WoW did not invent Murlocs, other than the name. They have been around in several forms since before Blizzard was even a company. Since before there was a such thing as home computers.
#39 Jan 22 2011 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
taningard wrote:
I guess it is in Beta but Rift looks pretty poor in terms of graphics and animations to me. Didn't look very immersive or original really either.



This is what I think. I read reviews, watched hours of video on this game, and talked to a friend that's in beta. Although they have their own story/concept with rifting and a more customizable talent tree, it really doesn't feel like anything revolutionary to me. I was into when I first heard about it months ago, but as time went on and I saw more info/videos I just lost interest. If SE actually follows through with the updates Yoshida set forth for FFXIV, I feel it's going to be much stronger in terms or originality and immersion.

edit* There's a good chance a February update may sway people from venturing into Rift in march when it's released. SE should definitely keep this in mind.

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 3:27pm by Transmigration


The underlined part is where I have a bit of an issue. Not trying to argue over opinions, but a lot of people seem to be confused, that Revolutionary = good. I wonder if you think FFXIV is/was revolutionary? And if you do, you also realize it was really, really bad right?

They went in the exact opposite direction as everyone else in the industry, in every area. And not one single good review, a hemorrhaging player base, overall negative community. Being different, is only good when the standard is bad.


Fair enough Kris. Let me sort of rephrase how I feel about it.

FFXIV might become good after they borrow some ideas from other MMOs and FFXI, which is what it seems they're doing to me. However, no matter what some of these lunatics in here say; it will not be anything like World of Wrcraft.

Rift on the other hand is so similar to WoW that they marketed it to ex-wow players using the phrase "We're not in Azeroth anymore". I have played WoW,WAR,Aion,LOTR, etc. All different games but the same style of combat. I'm not sure if that makes any more sense.

Basically, in my opinion FFXIV will be much like FFXI and Rift will be much like WoW. Nothing wrong with that, I've just grown tired of the style of game Rift is and would much rather play something similar to FFXI. Without going back to WoW or FFXI.

If that doesn't work out, then maybe I'll be done with MMOs for a while.

Edited, Jan 22nd 2011 3:44pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#40 Jan 22 2011 at 2:51 PM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
Transmigration wrote:


Fair enough Kris. Let me sort of rephrase how I feel about it.

FFXIV might become good after they borrow some ideas from other MMOs and FFXI, which is what it seems they're doing to me. However, no matter what some of these lunatics in here say; it will not be anything like World of Wrcraft.

Rift on the other hand is so similar to WoW that they marketed it to ex-wow players using the phrase "We're not in Azeroth anymore". I have played WoW,WAR,Aion,LOTR, etc. All different games but the same style of combat. I'm not sure if that makes any more sense.

Basically, in my opinion FFXIV will be much like FFXI and Rift will be much like WoW. Nothing wrong with that, I've just grown tired of the style of game Rift is and would much rather play something similar to FFXI. Without going back to WoW or FFXI.


Yup I can get behind that. Just looking for a different type of game is understandable.


For me, I don't necessarily mind similar mechanics and UI in a game, as long as the game itself feels different. Example I've used more than once, CoD and Halo are mechanically 90% identical, but they feel nothing alike, I enjoy them both. And the next FPS I buy, will probably be the same, I will open it up, put it in my XBOX and start playing, the controls will be the same. And I, along with a million others will be having fun with it.

If someone made an FPS and the controls are all wonky, like the Start Button = Shoot, there's no jump, and I can't change my weapons, just for the sake of being different. I would have the same problem as I currently have with FFXIV.
#41 Jan 22 2011 at 2:56 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
Transmigration wrote:


Fair enough Kris. Let me sort of rephrase how I feel about it.

FFXIV might become good after they borrow some ideas from other MMOs and FFXI, which is what it seems they're doing to me. However, no matter what some of these lunatics in here say; it will not be anything like World of Wrcraft.

Rift on the other hand is so similar to WoW that they marketed it to ex-wow players using the phrase "We're not in Azeroth anymore". I have played WoW,WAR,Aion,LOTR, etc. All different games but the same style of combat. I'm not sure if that makes any more sense.

Basically, in my opinion FFXIV will be much like FFXI and Rift will be much like WoW. Nothing wrong with that, I've just grown tired of the style of game Rift is and would much rather play something similar to FFXI. Without going back to WoW or FFXI.


Yup I can get behind that. Just looking for a different type of game is understandable.


For me, I don't necessarily mind similar mechanics and UI in a game, as long as the game itself feels different. Example I've used more than once, CoD and Halo are mechanically 90% identical, but they feel nothing alike, I enjoy them both. And the next FPS I buy, will probably be the same, I will open it up, put it in my XBOX and start playing, the controls will be the same. And I, along with a million others will be having fun with it.

If someone made an FPS and the controls are all wonky, like the Start Button = Shoot, there's no jump, and I can't change my weapons, just for the sake of being different. I would have the same problem as I currently have with FFXIV.


Absolutely, if I wasn't just totally burnt out on that style of MMO right now Rift would probably look better to me. I don't think it's going to be a terrible game, just not that spark I'm looking for. Similarities in genres are unavoidable.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#42 Jan 22 2011 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Yeah people saying how good it is etc. got me curious... so I was playing around with the soul-tree thingy Zam has.... but it totally turned me off. I am not really into that kind of character development - and the skills seemed largely uninteresting.

I grabbed a beta key and I am going to give it a roll but I strongly suspect I won't like it. Also, if all the female avatars are made to be super-boobtastic that will turn me off. (I don't know if that is the case but I somewhat suspect it will be)

I know it is just a little detail but things like that make me think that the developers are really only interested in targeting a male playerbase (even though I am a ******* and I like boobs). One of the reasons I like XIV is it is just really tasteful. I know I am a prude, but we are all allowed our irrational tastes, right?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#43 Jan 22 2011 at 3:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
ironmonk25 wrote:
OMG they are copy pasting the good stuff from other games! not original! i want something new and broken!

Rift has a simple idea which FFXIV should have thought about. If it aint broke dont fix it. The ideas they are taken from other games arent broken idea, now if rift decided to take some ideas from FFXIV then we would be having a lot of problems..but then again not really because the devs listen to feed back really fast.


This is something I thought of this morning playing DCU. I was looking at my gear, and I realized that basic stuff was green, next level up was blue, and another level better than that was purple, WoW's gear colors. I thought about why they would use the same colors as another game, and I realized its because there is zero reason not to. If you're going to use a color system, why not use one that is familiar to people. Changing something for the sake of not doing what someone else does isn't really any different from copying, you are still basing your decision on another game's system.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]971172[/ffxivsig]
#44 Jan 22 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
I had the opportunity to participate in the last beta event and I'm all patched up and ready to go for the next one.

If someone were to say that the base design of Rift borrowed heavily from WoW with elements of WAR mixed in, they'd be right, but then Trion took all of that and expanded on it. It's a fun game. There's a lot going on at any given time. When you arrive back at a major city you actually feel a sense of relief not because you're safe from things you hate doing, but because you can have a few minutes of peace to craft or manage inventory or do whatever without having to worry about a rift opening on your head or having to duck out of the path of an invasion that's about to steamroll you from behind.

Rift isn't perfect. It doesn't need to be. It just needs to be good at what it does, and it is. And that's not going to appeal to everyone and that's fine. No MMO is going to appeal to everyone, but I think the people who haven't tried it, or got into a beta but didn't stick around long enough to experience any of the zone-wide invasions or events might want to hold back on the quick judgments. A person may not like the UI, but it's highly functional and that's all it needs to be. They might not like a quest-centric leveling system, but it's a step above grinding in terms of diversity. I could go out and grind on critters all day in Rift, too. I just find questing to be more fun.

"Because it's Final Fantasy" isn't enough of a motivation for me to play FFXIV. For some people, apparently that's all they need and that's fine. I prefer to play a game where I'm actively involved in diverse content, and unless/until Yoshida can bring that to FFXIV, Rift is it for me.
#45 Jan 22 2011 at 3:55 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:

I grabbed a beta key and I am going to give it a roll but I strongly suspect I won't like it. Also, if all the female avatars are made to be super-boobtastic that will turn me off. (I don't know if that is the case but I somewhat suspect it will be)

I know it is just a little detail but things like that make me think that the developers are really only interested in targeting a male playerbase (even though I am a ******* and I like boobs). One of the reasons I like XIV is it is just really tasteful. I know I am a prude, but we are all allowed our irrational tastes, right?


I wouldn't exactly go so far to say that XIV is really tasteful when most of the crafting gear being sported by female characters has their boobs hanging out and when in the crafting stance exposes what could be seen by some as panties. I actually went and bought an entire new crafting set because of this.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1822421[/ffxivsig]
#46 Jan 22 2011 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Yeah people saying how good it is etc. got me curious... so I was playing around with the soul-tree thingy Zam has.... but it totally turned me off. I am not really into that kind of character development - and the skills seemed largely uninteresting.

I grabbed a beta key and I am going to give it a roll but I strongly suspect I won't like it. Also, if all the female avatars are made to be super-boobtastic that will turn me off. (I don't know if that is the case but I somewhat suspect it will be).

I know it is just a little detail but things like that make me think that the developers are really only interested in targeting a male playerbase (even though I am a ******* and I like boobs). One of the reasons I like XIV is it is just really tasteful. I know I am a prude, but we are all allowed our irrational tastes, right?


If you go in thinking you won't like it, you probably won't. All I could really suggest is to give it a fair shake and reserve judgment until you've had a chance to participate in some of the zone-wide events which tend to happen every couple of hours or so in the beta.

And I didn't find the bewbs to be overdone. I'd say it's not much worse than FFXIV. XIV has its lace and cleavage, too.
#47 Jan 22 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
AnnabelleCloud wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:

I grabbed a beta key and I am going to give it a roll but I strongly suspect I won't like it. Also, if all the female avatars are made to be super-boobtastic that will turn me off. (I don't know if that is the case but I somewhat suspect it will be)

I know it is just a little detail but things like that make me think that the developers are really only interested in targeting a male playerbase (even though I am a ******* and I like boobs). One of the reasons I like XIV is it is just really tasteful. I know I am a prude, but we are all allowed our irrational tastes, right?


I wouldn't exactly go so far to say that XIV is really tasteful when most of the crafting gear being sported by female characters has their boobs hanging out and when in the crafting stance exposes what could be seen by some as panties. I actually went and bought an entire new crafting set because of this.


It's no different than how a lot of women are starting to dress in real life. If anything XIV doesn't suffer from "All pants become panties or less when equipped on female" syndrome with a lot of its gear. The Coatee set in FFXIV is realistically the only set that very risque if you get down to it. (outside of obviously, being in your undergarments.)
____________________________

#48 Jan 22 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Spyrit178 wrote:
Not only did they take 85% of their mechanics from WoW, the even took the murlocs too. Better graphics is the only arguement people say when denying it's a WoW clone, but there's no hiding the fact that it's just another gear grind game.


Compared to what? A critter grind game?
#49 Jan 22 2011 at 4:03 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
Boobs in games are funny. They don't get me off or offend me. They're just pixels.

That being said, I think FFXIV did a great job on boobs and female character models in general.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#50 Jan 22 2011 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
*
71 posts
just character modeling, girls wear exposing armor and have perfect figures just like the male characters are all muscular. not going for realism when designing characters, you want attractive characters to be heroes and heroins.
#51 Jan 22 2011 at 4:18 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
225 posts
Aurelius wrote:

Compared to what? A critter grind game?



Getting purples every 4 months is a gear grind nothing more, exactly like wow, badge rewards right from the start, have no interest in playing wow for a second time. SEs endgame in FFXI was much broader, and I hope the follow suit with FFXIV. Rift is just a knockoff.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1807212[/ffxivsig]
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (25)