Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Guardian or Defiant?Follow

#1 Feb 13 2011 at 9:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
48 posts
Hey guys. I haven’t played the Rift beta myself, but I’m thinking about trying Rift out when it’s released and I’m trying to decide which faction I should play – Guardian or Defiant.

I’ve heard that the Defiant will probably be the more popular choice, because they’re the more unique & independent faction, whereas the Guardians seem to bear a pretty striking resemblance to the Alliance in WoW, both in terms of their races & their noble, dutiful do-gooder characters.

Keep in mind that I have always been a big fan of peacemaker/healer type races & classes in MMOs lore-wise (In WoW I definitely liked the Dreneai & Night Elves better than the Blood Elves). Then again, the Defiant seem like they’re the more caster-oriented faction, and their individualistic view of themselves is a lot more similar to how I see my own characters in an MMO (I’ve always hated the military command-oriented questing hubs in WoW), so I’m kind of split between factions.

There’s nothing stopping me from trying both out and seeing which one I like better, but…which faction would you recommend?

Thanks.
#2 Feb 13 2011 at 10:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Try both. There's no big difference between the two; they all have the same souls available. I enjoy the Defiant viewpoint better, but dislike how some of their races look (ew, emo-elves). The Guardians look better to me but I find religious zealotry, even in a game, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In Beta I have a level 30 Defiant Mage and a level 18 Guardian warrior Smiley: grin
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Feb 13 2011 at 11:23 PM Rating: Decent
35 posts
I intend to play both, but my primary being Guardian. I personally don't view my Guardian character as religious.

She is part of the Guardian faction because she grew up in that lifestyle, and believes in the same morals they do. Being an explorer, which lead her to unique insight into the forests and marshes surrounding her home, joined the fight to stop Regulos more for the entire people of the Telara, rather than for anything else. Once she fell in battle, the Gods saw her tenacity and willingness to uphold her morals even in the darkest of times, and granted her Ascension.

She does not swear by the gods, but rather fights against the epitome of death itself, using the power the Gods granted her. Due to being one of the Ascended she is no longer accepted in any Defiant owned land, despite being a traveling Bard, and usually accepted anywhere.

She struggles to unite the lands, and bring peace back to the world. Nothing appeals to her more than being able to travel to Meridian, and Sanctum alike, telling grand tales of heroism, and wild myths yet to be formally discovered. After all, a Bard feeds champions, be they Defiant or Guardian.


Well, that is my character at least...



(I do suggest playing at LEAST one character of both Guardian and Defiant up to around level 20, due to some NPCs being seen in both places and learning each culture and their reasons behind what they do)
#4 Feb 14 2011 at 7:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Tcahraiecr wrote:

She does not swear by the gods, but rather fights against the epitome of death itself, using the power the Gods granted her.


This is a good view to have. I love in the new trailer when the rogue says "I was not chosen for my faith" right before he opens a rift to attack the Defiant.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#5 Feb 14 2011 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
I am rolling Guardian. I really want to like the defiant side because their beliefs/views are closer to mine. But it is hard.. as someone else mentioned their races look horrible. Eth = Gangster/thug looking humans. Kelari = emo/ugly elves. And the other race is just bleh.. Besides that it seems like 4/5 people tend to go for defiant anyway so i want to join the less populated faction.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1805972[/ffxivsig]
#6 Feb 14 2011 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
48 posts
Tcahraiecr wrote:
I intend to play both, but my primary being Guardian. I personally don't view my Guardian character as religious.

She is part of the Guardian faction because she grew up in that lifestyle, and believes in the same morals they do. Being an explorer, which lead her to unique insight into the forests and marshes surrounding her home, joined the fight to stop Regulos more for the entire people of the Telara, rather than for anything else. Once she fell in battle, the Gods saw her tenacity and willingness to uphold her morals even in the darkest of times, and granted her Ascension.

She does not swear by the gods, but rather fights against the epitome of death itself, using the power the Gods granted her. Due to being one of the Ascended she is no longer accepted in any Defiant owned land, despite being a traveling Bard, and usually accepted anywhere.

She struggles to unite the lands, and bring peace back to the world. Nothing appeals to her more than being able to travel to Meridian, and Sanctum alike, telling grand tales of heroism, and wild myths yet to be formally discovered. After all, a Bard feeds champions, be they Defiant or Guardian.


Well, that is my character at least...


LOL! That sounds A LOT like the kind of character I like being in MMOs. Only instead of a Bard I'd be a Cleric soul of sorts.

Shredmastah wrote:
I am rolling Guardian. I really want to like the defiant side because their beliefs/views are closer to mine. But it is hard.. as someone else mentioned their races look horrible.


Trust me, that's almost EXACTLY how I feel about the Horde in WoW! I like the Horde's Shaman-type feel a lot, but the "independent" races of the Horde don't really do it for me...the Blood Elves are arrogant & annoying as **** and I just don't care for them and the Goblins just...don't fit. The Alliance has a couple of secondary races that are completely unique and which I very much feel for lorewise.

The real key question I want to ask is this: Is the Guardian-Defiant conflict as serious/intense as the Alliance-Horde war is in WoW Cataclysm? Because as of Cata in WoW it's kind of hard to play both factions due to the sheer number of areas (even in questing) where the two armies are at each others' throats.

If it's more like the Alliance-Horde conflict was in Vanilla WoW then it's easier to just play both.
#7 Feb 14 2011 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
64 posts
Guardian, both because their arrogant Knight Templar schtick appeals to me more, and because they're the underdogs in PvP.
#8 Feb 14 2011 at 7:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
405 posts
Sorohwi wrote:
Guardian, both because their arrogant Knight Templar schtick appeals to me more, and because they're the underdogs in PvP.


this 100% lol, moral trolling is so funnies, a la fancy the famous bard of eq
#9 Feb 14 2011 at 11:25 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
Defiant because you can only take so much of dwarves and elves in games. I personnaly want to bash them in pvp. Even if I end up with an avatar or sandman.

Edit: also they seem to have nice racial abilities.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 12:26am by xHecto
#10 Feb 15 2011 at 7:00 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
I play Guardian, cause there Lore is closer to the nordic lore as the mechmaniac Defiants.

In the Beta the German Server have more Defiants than Guardians (PvP wise), Warfornt invite is instant on Guardian site and around 10-20 Min waittime on defiant site.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 8:01am by Haralin
#11 Feb 15 2011 at 7:45 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I'm starting off with a Guardian (Mage: Pyro / Elem / Chloro) then will probably make something on the Defiant side later.
#12 Feb 16 2011 at 2:39 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
It was a toss up for me. I play a lot of paladins (not all of them good, either) all over the place, and the Guardians certainly have the Paladin/Knight Templar thing going for them in spades - as a Guardian, you know that you have the might of the gods at your back, and you've been given a license to do whatever the **** you want in the name of protecting Telara from the Rifts and those nasty Defiant.

On the other hand, I'm also a big steampunk fan, and a lot of the Defiant stuff has a definite steampunk feel to it. I think the thing that pushed me over the edge and firmly into the Guardian camp was the very first area you spawn in as a Defiant, seeing them execute prisoners so they can suck their souls into their machines. Soul sucking in the middle of combat? Unpleasant, but I could live with it. Executing prisoners? Again, I could live with it. They're at war, after all. But the combination? Yea, I didn't like that. :D

From a purely game mechanics standpoint, you should be just fine with either faction; all the classes and all of the equipment is (or at least should be, based on what I've seen in game) available to both factions.
#13 Feb 16 2011 at 9:47 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Quote:
On the other hand, I'm also a big steampunk fan, and a lot of the Defiant stuff has a definite steampunk feel to it. I think the thing that pushed me over the edge and firmly into the Guardian camp was the very first area you spawn in as a Defiant, seeing them execute prisoners so they can suck their souls into their machines. Soul sucking in the middle of combat? Unpleasant, but I could live with it. Executing prisoners? Again, I could live with it. They're at war, after all. But the combination? Yea, I didn't like that. :D



I had an issue with this as well. It was sucky because the Defiant worldview is much closer to my own than the Guardians'. Then I was reminded that the Guardians attacked and slaughtered the people of Meridian because they possessed magitech, simply because the gods told them to. Of course, I think that is what happened in the time-line before you are sent back in the Defiant starting area. At least I think that's how the order of events goes.

My point is, the Guardians aren't perfect pillars of morality. Likewise, the Defiant aren't automatically the "evil" side. No matter which faction you choose there will be something about them that doesn't sit right with you in terms of their motives or actions. The fact that it can generate discussions such as these means the faction conflict is well constructed.

Also, someone feel free to clear up the attack on Meridian timeline if I flubbed it up.
#14 Feb 17 2011 at 7:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
292 posts
I'm most likely going Guardian, i just cant find a good race/style i like on the defiant side. I usually play the short taru/gnome/lalfell type, but as there is none in this game im having to branch out *gasps*. While dwarves are smaller i still cant stand looking at them, too strange of a running animation for my taste, so i will probably settle with Mathosia.
____________________________
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#15 Feb 18 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts

What i like best is it completely doesn't matter in game sense.

Other games you were pushed one way or another. Eg in Warhammer, the only rogue type was the witch elf and the witch hunter. In WoW, if you wanted pvp-centric racial abilities, you had to go horde. In lineage 2, if you wanted speed, you had to be light elf.

Here in Rift, you can have the exact same character of whatever race and whatever gender you want. Plays just the same.
#16 Mar 05 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
Oh man, I spent my first day with the game trying to make a defiant character. Going through the races, trying to get one to look good, going back to another one, really really trying. Playing a character to level 5 or so before deciding I couldn't stand him. Finally I went meh and made a guardian. Made a character that actually looked good, leveled up a bit. Today I went back, tried *really hard* again to make a defiant character, and I just can't.

Its WoW all over again! I want to be a certain faction really bad but hate all their races! In the case of WoW I wanted to be alliance (dont like the fascist nature of horde and alliance architecture that youre spending so much time in is tons better) but all the male races look kinda weird and I didn't feel like making a female character (finally settled on female draenei)

I really want to be defiant because their story and faction theme appeals to me more but I just cannot find a way to make a character that's worth playing on that side. :( Either I need to figure out why I can deal with being a guardian or I need to figure out a defiant that doesn't look like a rotten poopsicle. I've had this **** thing for 4 days now! :(
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#17 Mar 05 2011 at 9:03 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
I tried to go Defiant, but their magitech thing just didn't seem as epic as being resurrected by gods - not for our faith, but for our MIGHT, or whatever the intro says.

Despite bein a real life atheist, I prefer being on the side of divine powers. Being brought back from death to combat evil just seems infinitely more awesome than being genetically modified and sent back in time like some Terminator wannabe.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (25)