Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Rift Forums blames Zam for hacksFollow

#1 Mar 04 2011 at 8:36 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Just reading through the Rift general discussion forums and people are trying to figure out why so many people are getting hacked.

One of the posters stated:
"Its not the parsers.
It's Zam - you don't need to register on the site for malicious scripts to be run.
Zam used to be owned by IGE - but everyone sussed that out so now they have a parent company owning both Zam and IGE.
You visit a Zam site - you're compromising your account.
There's plenty of other soul builder sites out there."

I remember Thottbot used to be pretty bad with malicious code, and my wife got a nasty virus on her computer (Paladin Anti-virus (or similarly named) auto installed, shut down internet explorer).

Not sure if there has been any recent checks on Zam content.

(Thread can be found here.

Edited, Mar 5th 2011 3:16pm by Nizdaar Lock Thread: Topic has run its course.
#2 Mar 04 2011 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
777 posts
I read through that thread, and only one person mentions Zam being a (possible) cause. I'm not saying it isn't possible, and am not a devout Zam defender, but I think I'd need more proof that its Zam's fault before I start passing out angry mob torches. If there's more proof, please feel free to link it. I tried looking around those forums, but everything moves so fast I can't keep up with active threads half the time.

/my two cents
#3 Mar 04 2011 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
I've never been hacked or bugged in any on-line game that has required an account. I've used Alla's pretty much from the start of my mmo career nearly a decade ago.

It's highly unlikely the two are connected. Besides, you'd think if Zam's was the source of hacking scripts, you'd see some peeps around here reporting being hacked.

Most typically account hacks are due to the user getting sloppy with their account info.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#4 Mar 04 2011 at 9:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Bad j00 j00
Avatar
***
2,159 posts
Elinda wrote:
Besides, you'd think if Zam's was the source of hacking scripts, you'd see some peeps around here reporting being hacked.


Elinda is right. If we were the source there'd be an epidemic of rift accounts hacked as well as accounts for other games. My inbox would also be full from complaints with people seeing their anti-virus scanners generating messages.
#5 Mar 04 2011 at 9:50 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
As I understand it, Infinity Media used to own ZAM. Infinity Media also used to own IGE. Half-wits caught on to the connection and decided that ZAM therefore supported currency farming in MMOs. It would be like me owning a McDonald's restaurant franchise and an organic food store and protesters gathering around my organic market condemning the manager of the market for contributing to obesity. I forget who sold what...whether Infinity sold off their interest in IGE or ZAM or something, but the connection between ZAM and IGE...even though it was never more than tenuous at best...no longer even exists. But give an internet conspiracy theorist something to run with and they don't care about reason or facts. They've got their conspiracy theory and they'll cling to it until the end of days.
#6 Mar 04 2011 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Someone hacked my account and removed ~10k posts.

No? ****, was worth a try.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#7 Mar 04 2011 at 10:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
On a side note, has Trion said anything about authenticators? They'd better imo, hackings this early, whatever the source (highly doubt it's Alla) is not good.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#8 Mar 04 2011 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
That's a pretty ridiculous accusation and the person who made it should be slapped around a little. I've been using ZAM for 8 years and never had any MMO account hacked.

That being said, Trion might want to consider some sort of authenticator system if this continues. It's worked well for both Blizzard and SE imo.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#9 Mar 04 2011 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Only way you'll get in trouble here is by clicking dubious ads by one-post posters.

We tend to catch and kill those pretty fast, though Smiley: nod

Been using ZAM loooong before I was an admin. Since 2004, in fact. Never had my FFXI, WoW, Aion, or now Rift accounts hacked.

And it took me until 2007 to start using Firefox, which helped me avoid most security issues I would have had if I stayed on IE. Now I use Chrome anyway.

Oh, and you can get premium and NEVER deal with ads Smiley: wink

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 3:24pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#10 Mar 04 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Too Über for Title
*
188 posts
has ad-blocker been around that long? I only heard of it late-2009 :( how noobie I am lol
____________________________
"If Its a Must, Its Up to US!" Help Contribute to ZAM Wiki's
"Im Nuts for Rift, Because i'm a Squirrel"
Bohtauri
#11 Mar 04 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Bohtauri wrote:
I only heard of it late-2009 :( how noobie I am lol


I think it has - I know I started using FF back then... or at least before I finished college in 2008 Smiley: grin

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 4:06pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#12 Mar 04 2011 at 11:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I've been on ZAM for a while since 2004(?) and had my WoW account hacked and also my Facebook.

But it was most likely from clicking on one of those **** "Blizzard" emails, or being lazy with my password, NOT from ZAM.

Just a reminder, if you care about an account, give it a unique and strong password.

I would love an authenticator, or even an app, we'll see.
#13 Mar 04 2011 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
I heard of NoScript before AdBlock, but heard of neither until I started using Firefox. Which would have been, um, 2007 or around there. Don't remember when I got AdBlock and NoScript, though.

Believe there were other ways to block stuff back then as well. Other than running an anti-malware program in the background, I mean.

But everything between 2005 and 2009 is sort of fuzzy as I discovered beer around there.

Kierk wrote:
I've been on ZAM for a while since 2004(?) and had my WoW account hacked and also my Facebook.


Are you a girl?

*readies Google search*

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 6:02pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#14 Mar 04 2011 at 11:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Inkie in Disguise
*
239 posts
Mazra wrote:
I heard of NoScript before AdBlock, but heard of neither until I started using Firefox. Which would have been, um, 2007 or around there. Don't remember when I got AdBlock and NoScript, though.

Believe there were other ways to block stuff back then as well. Other than running an anti-malware program in the background, I mean.

But everything between 2005 and 2009 is sort of fuzzy as I discovered beer around there.

Kierk wrote:
I've been on ZAM for a while since 2004(?) and had my WoW account hacked and also my Facebook.


Are you a girl?

*readies Google search*

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 6:02pm by Mazra


Smiley: yikes
____________________________
Creepy Girl Extraordinaire
#15 Mar 04 2011 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Uh, no.

:(


Not to mention, unless you know what to look for I'm probably one of the most ungoogleable people ever.

;)
#16 Mar 04 2011 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Inkie in Disguise
*
239 posts
Kierk wrote:
Uh, no.

:(


Not to mention, unless you know what to look for I'm probably one of the most ungoogleable people ever.

;)


Oh no - you just taunted the "internet detectives".
____________________________
Creepy Girl Extraordinaire
#17 Mar 04 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Reminds me of that thread on the official World of Warcraft forums during the infamous RealID debate a while back. Someone taunted the "internet detectives" by giving a full name and only the information available on the site (to mimic how the RealID would be like), telling people to feel free to find him/her.

20 minutes later, she (as it was revealed she was) edited her post, saying that she got a phone call at work from a guy also at work who, in the 20 minutes, had found her on Facebook, knew the names of her parents, their phone number, her address, the name of her dog, the color of her bedroom, her favorite dish and how she looked, plus where she worked, which was where he'd eventually been able to reach her.

Blizzard changed the RealID away from revealing real names shortly thereafter.

Edit: Can't seem to find the thread (old forums) or the blog. Smiley: frown

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 7:02pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#18 Mar 04 2011 at 1:16 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Kaasha wrote:
Kierk wrote:
Uh, no.

:(


Not to mention, unless you know what to look for I'm probably one of the most ungoogleable people ever.

;)


Oh no - you just taunted the "internet detectives".



LOL.

Good thing this isn't 4chan.

My name is pretty common, so that wouldn't be a starting point.

And in most cases I do want to be found (well at least I want my music to be found/heard).

It's just taking a bit of time on the internet (8 years *cough*) to get noticed. :)
#19 Mar 04 2011 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Well, no offense meant on the whole "wanna google your stolen Facebook pics that might contain nudity - if you're a girl" thing. Old bridge over troubled waters or something, right?

I'm not really a good internet detective anyway. Smiley: frown

And sorry for derailing the thread. Another bad habit.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#20 Mar 04 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Inkie in Disguise
*
239 posts
Kierk wrote:
And in most cases I do want to be found (well at least I want my music to be found/heard).

It's just taking a bit of time on the internet (8 years *cough*) to get noticed. :)


Link me your page in a PM please - I'd love to have a listen. :)
____________________________
Creepy Girl Extraordinaire
#21 Mar 04 2011 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
disregard

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 1:31pm by KTurner
#22 Mar 04 2011 at 6:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
17 posts
I guess this is the place to put this.

Sorry zam, but I'm never gonna whitelist ads/scripts on an MMO fansite.
#23 Mar 05 2011 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Nizdaar wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Besides, you'd think if Zam's was the source of hacking scripts, you'd see some peeps around here reporting being hacked.


Elinda is right. If we were the source there'd be an epidemic of rift accounts hacked as well as accounts for other games. My inbox would also be full from complaints with people seeing their anti-virus scanners generating messages.



I hadn't seen anything else on this being a Zam issue, and I used the Soul calculator a few times without my account being hacked. But I just thought I would point it out. I have seen viruses from websites like this, just figured I would point it out in case it was a possibility.
#24 Mar 05 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:
On a side note, has Trion said anything about authenticators? They'd better imo, hackings this early, whatever the source (highly doubt it's Alla) is not good.


I've been reading through the Dev posts but so far I havn't seen anything on them. There have also been a number of bugs where people lose materials, and only a few that sounded like real "hacks". They are watching for it though, and have stated that it is their top priority here, but its still not clear how many real cases of this they are seeing. I think they will eventually get to it, I think they just need to devise something that doesn't infringe on Blizzard patents (if such exist).

I've also noticed they had some Plat sellers going on in headstart, but for the past 4 days, not a single peep from them. I'm not sure what they did about that, but it seems to be working (for now)
#25 Mar 05 2011 at 10:32 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Only way you'll get in trouble here is by clicking dubious ads by one-post posters.

We tend to catch and kill those pretty fast, though Smiley: nod



One-posters like me? *sniffle*

;)

Yea, again, just thought I would point it out in case it needed to be looked into. I'm still newish to ZAM (primarily get my BFF from iTunes), but I love the Soul Calculator so I've been checking this site out more and more. (though I LOVE wowhead :) , can you guys make Rifthead? )
#26 Mar 05 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Kierk wrote:
Uh, no.

:(


Not to mention, unless you know what to look for I'm probably one of the most ungoogleable people ever.

;)


Google "Where is Allakhazam". Click the first link. I think he has you beat.


*Edit, I didnt type Allakhazam... I see there is a filter in place on this forum... Silly C. N.orris haters. ;)

Edited, Mar 5th 2011 11:41am by Martinwuff
#27 Mar 05 2011 at 10:39 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Mazra wrote:
Reminds me of that thread on the official World of Warcraft forums during the infamous RealID debate a while back. Someone taunted the "internet detectives" by giving a full name and only the information available on the site (to mimic how the RealID would be like), telling people to feel free to find him/her.

20 minutes later, she (as it was revealed she was) edited her post, saying that she got a phone call at work from a guy also at work who, in the 20 minutes, had found her on Facebook, knew the names of her parents, their phone number, her address, the name of her dog, the color of her bedroom, her favorite dish and how she looked, plus where she worked, which was where he'd eventually been able to reach her.

Blizzard changed the RealID away from revealing real names shortly thereafter.

Edit: Can't seem to find the thread (old forums) or the blog. Smiley: frown

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 7:02pm by Mazra


Not sure if this is the same, cause the one I saw was a guy, but one of the Blues posted their real name. People found his parents address, ordered a pizza to be sent there, called them up. The only reason it was his parent's was because it was one of his old addresses listed on some public records.

Rather than admit to the idea that it might not be such a good thing, the Blues started deleting and banning posts which revealed the personal info stating that it was against the EULA/TOS/Forum policy.

But also, I don't think they did away with showing real names on Real ID. I have 2 friends on it, and I can see all their RealID friends still. I can't necessarily say which name goes to which online toon without a decent amount of deduction, but yea, it's still there.
#28 Mar 05 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
***
1,422 posts
Martinwuff wrote:
I think they will eventually get to [authenticators], I think they just need to devise something that doesn't infringe on Blizzard patents (if such exist).


If Blizzard does have patents on those things, I think that Square-Enix better have their Elite Ninja Lawyers on standby.
____________________________
FFXIV: Raji Skybrand (Leviathan)
Give a man a fish, he'll be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll scream "F*** off noob, I know what I'm doing!" and continue to do it wrong.
#29 Mar 05 2011 at 2:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Bad j00 j00
Avatar
***
2,159 posts
It's time to let this thread die. You can discuss security tokens and other things in a new thread if you want.

We are not the source of people getting their accounts hacked as the subject of this thread suggests.
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (13)