Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

River of Souls World Event Testing (3/23/11)Follow

#1 Mar 23 2011 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
777 posts
Just saw this pop up on my Facebook:

Quote:
The River of Souls reeks with the foul stench of Death. Alsbeth the Discordant, bride of Regulos, sows her evil will into the soulstream that binds Telara with the afterlife. Dark magic corrupts the spirits within, transforming them into lifeless husks eager to serve the Devourer.

Alsbeth is determined to crush Telara under the tread of the Endless Court, and tear down the Ward to make way for a massive invasion. It now falls to you, Ascended, to beat back the darkness before the world is snuffed out!

Update 1.1 brings a host of changes and new features, and to prepare for its worldwide debut, we are calling on everyone willing to assist in testing the River of Souls World Event. This event introduces the next phase in RIFT’s saga, and will rage across all Telara, culminating in an unforgettable battle with Alsbeth’s forces in Stillmoor... should you survive that long.

Join us tonight (while you still draw breath), Wednesday, March 23, 2011, for a special sneak peek of the event at 5:00PM PST. You will witness the grand finale of the world event and see what’s in store when 1.1 is unleashed. Leveling merchants will be available in ******* and Sanctum to help you take part in all the action.

Be sure you don’t miss out by grabbing the Alpha client early. Simply follow these instructions and you’ll be ready to go. Remember: any previous characters you had on Alpha will still be available to play, but no live-to-Alpha character copies will be available for this event.

We look forward to welcoming you all to RIFT’s first massive world event. We can’t wait for your feedback, and we’ll see you on Alpha!


Source

Part of me wants to keep things a surprise and not participate until it goes live for everyone... but another part of me is already making sure my alpha client is up-to-date.
#2 Mar 23 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
I knew I should have downloaded the alpha early, haha! Dang, I'd love to do it, but I doubt I can finish the download within 2 hours between when I get home and event starts...
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Mar 23 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
272 posts
Ooo, thanks for the post. I stay as far away from the facebooks as possible despite needing to implement their API and develop apps for my job >.>
____________________________
Always check for black-on-black text.
#4 Mar 23 2011 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
777 posts
I'm updating my alpha client now, still have an hour left of patching. I know the source thread says there'll be levelling merchants in the two major cities, but does that mean I'll have to get out of the starter zone first? Maybe that's a hypothetical question since nobody really knows, but it'd be nice if they started us where we needed to be.

Then again, it doesn't take long to start, so I guess I'm being lazy. :)
#5 Mar 24 2011 at 6:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Awesome event! I managed to get in, and I'll write up an article a bit later. The long-and-short of it:

-Every zone gets a zone event, which includes tons of portals, invasions, and bosses to defeat (three bosses in Droughtlands, which makes me think each zone had multiple?).
-The world event objective is "Protect Telara from death incursions (0/11 zones)"
-The bosses (and enemies?) drop new sourcestones that can be turned in to a "world event vendor" in the capital. The world event vendor sold 3 items on the PTR, all seem to be flavor items.
-After the zones are protected there's a huge boss event at Caer Mathos that involves Alsbeth and several expert level bosses from current dungeons, but in the open world (makes LoSing some mechanics very tough). GMs had to kill all but the first pair for us after multiple wipes Smiley: grin
-Once the event is open, a new raid instance opens!

I'll write more later!
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#6 Mar 24 2011 at 6:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
777 posts
I participated as well; was major fun! When Alsbeth's voiceovers for all the different zones came at once and talked over each other I had to laugh. Got tired of the people ragequitting from my raid though, I guess they expected a full and polished event. I had to leave early so I didn't get to see the end. :(
#7 Mar 24 2011 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
BlueDolphin wrote:
I participated as well; was major fun! When Alsbeth's voiceovers for all the different zones came at once and talked over each other I had to laugh. Got tired of the people ragequitting from my raid though, I guess they expected a full and polished event. I had to leave early so I didn't get to see the end. :(


And I bet people got mad at you for ragequitting too ;).
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#8 Mar 24 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
777 posts
Vataro wrote:
BlueDolphin wrote:
I participated as well; was major fun! When Alsbeth's voiceovers for all the different zones came at once and talked over each other I had to laugh. Got tired of the people ragequitting from my raid though, I guess they expected a full and polished event. I had to leave early so I didn't get to see the end. :(


And I bet people got mad at you for ragequitting too ;).


Maybe if I had; but I didn't. There were a lot of people who were complaining in raid about how "awful" the event was and that Trion had ruined Rift before disconnecting. That's what I meant by ragequitting.
#9 Mar 24 2011 at 11:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
BlueDolphin wrote:
Vataro wrote:
BlueDolphin wrote:
I participated as well; was major fun! When Alsbeth's voiceovers for all the different zones came at once and talked over each other I had to laugh. Got tired of the people ragequitting from my raid though, I guess they expected a full and polished event. I had to leave early so I didn't get to see the end. :(


And I bet people got mad at you for ragequitting too ;).


Maybe if I had; but I didn't. There were a lot of people who were complaining in raid about how "awful" the event was and that Trion had ruined Rift before disconnecting. That's what I meant by ragequitting.


Yeah, there was a ton of QQing. Mainly that most of the testers couldn't deal with expert level bosses even in full tier 2 gear (because they just rushed in and hoped for the best Smiley: lol). I have no doubt the bosses are doable if you know the original strategy and can work out how to adapt it to the flat playing field.

However, doing it with a bunch of random people in poor gear on a PvP server is going to be pretty hard Smiley: nod
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#10 Mar 24 2011 at 11:22 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
Are you saying the bosses actually require some strategy? I really wish the current invasion bosses were a lot harder, if a pet pulls aggro from me I want it to get instagibbed.
#11 Mar 24 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Decent
**
272 posts
Everyone soul-switch to bard/chloro/riftadin/justicar and just aoehealtank the entire affair?

I wonder what would happen if a full raid was doing nothing but heal-on-damage with nothing but hyper damage soak tanks at the front.
____________________________
Always check for black-on-black text.
#12 Mar 24 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
KTurner wrote:
Are you saying the bosses actually require some strategy? I really wish the current invasion bosses were a lot harder, if a pet pulls aggro from me I want it to get instagibbed.


Not the actual zone bosses (although they did have some interesting and painful abilities), but the bosses summoned in the final event are expert level dungeon bosses in a new setting. Not surprising we needed a GM to down most of them for us Smiley: grin
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#13 Mar 24 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
oh gotcha
#14 Mar 24 2011 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
17 posts
it sounds like this event is going to be a riot! i dont really understand why people QQ if the content is so hard, but doable with the right set of people (i.e. a GM). this does not bode well for the casual player or does it?
____________________________
Sequester - 39 Defiant Cleric on Leathys
#15 Mar 24 2011 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
A casual player shouldnt be able to see ALL the content in an MMO anyway.

and before you flame this note that im a casual player that has the ability to see the bigger picture.
#16 Mar 24 2011 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
**
272 posts
It may be true, but you're opinion is not widely shared given all the hemming and hawing that has been done in the past.
____________________________
Always check for black-on-black text.
#17 Mar 24 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Turns out I will NOT be writing an article on this, since Trion says there are still a lot of bugs they need to work out so the end result may differ quite a bit from the event last night. If anyone has questions, however, I might be able to answer some Smiley: nod
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#18 Mar 26 2011 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
551 posts
KTurner wrote:
A casual player shouldnt be able to see ALL the content in an MMO anyway.

and before you flame this note that im a casual player that has the ability to see the bigger picture.


Funny, you act like casual players don't ever group. I guess casuals shouldn't see any rifts either, right? Since that's what this event was all about. In case you haven't noticed, this game is MADE for casuals. Hop in, see a rift or event, hit the public group button, start killing sh*t, then walk away. Even the raids are doable for a casual player due to this. Log in, hear need another for RoTF/DD/whatever, accept the invite, get ported in, kill sh*t, leave.

So, yeah. Your point was?

Oh, and here's another kicker for you. I'm a casual player in every mmo I've ever played, from EQ to AO to EQ2 to SWG to AoC and more. Yet I've seen all the content in most of them, and the stuff I didn't see was my choice because it was boring/not interesting/etc.

Luckily, most game developers aren't like Square-Enix where they think "fun" is spending hours killing one "boss".



Edited, Mar 26th 2011 3:53pm by Zorvan
____________________________


[ffxivsig]1815523[/ffxivsig]
#19 Mar 27 2011 at 4:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
272 posts
Come on now, SoE's opinion of fun is camping 36 hours to tag the spawn that drops the shoe that completes the quest that let's you into the boss' raid.

Several hours to kill an enemy is like a quick snack break ;)
____________________________
Always check for black-on-black text.
#20 Mar 28 2011 at 5:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,764 posts
Zorvan wrote:
KTurner wrote:

A casual player shouldnt be able to see ALL the content in an MMO anyway.

and before you flame this note that im a casual player that has the ability to see the bigger picture.


Funny, you act like casual players don't ever group. I guess casuals shouldn't see any rifts either, right? Since that's what this event was all about. In case you haven't noticed, this game is MADE for casuals. Hop in, see a rift or event, hit the public group button, start killing sh*t, then walk away. Even the raids are doable for a casual player due to this. Log in, hear need another for RoTF/DD/whatever, accept the invite, get ported in, kill sh*t, leave.

So, yeah. Your point was?

Oh, and here's another kicker for you. I'm a casual player in every mmo I've ever played, from EQ to AO to EQ2 to SWG to AoC and more. Yet I've seen all the content in most of them, and the stuff I didn't see was my choice because it was boring/not interesting/etc.

Luckily, most game developers aren't like Square-Enix where they think "fun" is spending hours killing one "boss".


Really good, casual players that can commit to anything resembling a raiding schedule (even just a couple hours a week, depending on length of instance and lock-out timer) should be able to see everything. Their limiting factors will be getting the right people together at the right time, and making good use of the limited time they're willing to put in to learning a new fight.

Good, more committed (hard-core) players should also be able to get through and see all the content.

Average, hard-core players should make progress, but might not get through all the encounters before the next content-patch. How quickly the weakest link(s) in the raid group turns experience into knowledge will be what holds this group back.

Rift has world content that's easy to get into, but right now it's all zerg-able. Throw enough warm bodies at the last boss and he will eventually die. In a few months, if the Rift events maintain their current difficulty, they're going to be somewhere between 'a pleasant diversion to questing' and 'something annoying that's keeping you from turning in your quests'.

A lot of off-line games have multiple difficulty settings to appeal to a wider variety of players. DDO, for example, took this to the extreme and has Solo, Casual, Normal, Hard, Elite, and Epic difficulty levels for it's instances (not all options available for all instances). WoW has had normal and heroic mode for the last two expansions (plus 5-man content in Burning Crusade).

Personally, I think the best example of a well-tuned, fun raid has been Ulduar from WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Multiple difficulty options for most of the fights, encounters that were challenging, and an extra boss (Algalon) to reward the groups that clear all the raid on hard-mode.
____________________________
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unsee. Things that make you fervently wish to protect other people from ever seeing those things. This is why forum admins are sometimes cranky.
#21 Mar 28 2011 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Spankatorium Administratix
Avatar
*****
1oooo posts
My biggest complaint about this event was the intense death loop I experienced. I would die, form as a ghost on platform and res to find myself instantly dead again. Those evil mobs that would spawn upon a death, insane!
____________________________

#22 Mar 31 2011 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
KTurner wrote:
A casual player shouldnt be able to see ALL the content in an MMO anyway.

and before you flame this note that im a casual player that has the ability to see the bigger picture.


That is highly subjective. What defines casual? No set raid schedule? No set dungeon schedule? There is a giant gra(e)y area between casual and hardcore. Is hardcore 6 raid days a week? Or is that insanity? Is casual/hardcore yelling or not yelling at people or critiquing their mistakes? Theorycrafting for 12 extra dps?

Hardcore gets confused a lot with grinding, grinding itself gets confused a lot with the use. Grinding has become more of a "grind out quests, grind out levels" term, when it's more appropriate to use it when trying to learn a encounter. You're not hardcore if you're spending 5 hours a night wiping on end game content region first.

Think about it, does wiping to AoW, Quarm, Vanilla KT, Kil'jaeden, LK before anyone else does make you hardcore? I wish I could turn back the hands of time and change peoples meaning of hardcore. Hardcore are the people who get it done, but get it done efficiently, even if it takes time. Grinding out kills is not hardcore. Grinding potions, flasks, buffs for fights, that's not hardcore, that's timesink. Timesink is getting 4 flasks a night for 4 hours of buffs, then camping a vex thal key fragment for 30hours, camping lodizal for 36 hours, camping anything.

Signed - Some random 1 post person who just started playing rift last saturday, with 6 years EQ1 exp(3 easy server firsts vying for region firsts) and 4 almost 5 years raiding in wow (server firsts).

Edited, Mar 31st 2011 11:11am by Zaos13
#23 Mar 31 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
It's not complicated.

Simply the carrot on the stick. Thats all these MMOs are. If one group of players catches the carrot they have no reason to play. Similarly, if you move the carrot out of the sight of another group of players they have no reason to play. You need something out there for every different type of player to strive for, and if not they will lose customers.

edit: I'll address this guy too, even though he is obviously SUPERMEGAOFFENDED.

Zorvan wrote:

Funny, you act like casual players don't ever group. I guess casuals shouldn't see any rifts either, right? Since that's what this event was all about. In case you haven't noticed, this game is MADE for casuals. Hop in, see a rift or event, hit the public group button, start killing sh*t, then walk away. Even the raids are doable for a casual player due to this. Log in, hear need another for RoTF/DD/whatever, accept the invite, get ported in, kill sh*t, leave.


You're talking about 5-man dungeons, not raids. That is casual content and I have a lot of fun with it. I wont be doing the latest raids however because i do not have the time to dedicate to the game, due to me being a casual player. If the latest and greatest raids are something that somebody with my play schedule can accomplish, then they are WEAK raids and i guarantee the hardcore crowd would be either leaving the game, or at least in an uproar.

Anyway, yeah. "Casual" isnt an insult. I'm just a firm believer that an MMO needs strong content for the hardcore crowd that isnt puggable after a month to keep the game challenging and fresh.


Edited, Mar 31st 2011 9:55am by KTurner
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (21)