Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Trial Got You By The Nose?Follow

#1 May 17 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Hey, Rift newbie here. This is a pointless thread for most, but I just had to say that this game is remarkable. I played WoW for almost five years before just tossing away my account at the start of Cata. Got bored, mechanics were becoming too simplified for keep me interested, and I was drowning in a sea of immature toons flooding chat. There are other reasons for abandoning WoW, but that is enough for now. More to the point, I stopped about seven months ago and was almost tempted to return for a fix until Rift came out with a 7-day trial. First impressions was not all too great. The opening stage seems to appeal more to twelve-year-olds with ADD or FPS fanatics than true RPG enthusiasts, while at the same time you have to cope with a complex class and ability system that would anger even the casually gamer not to mention younger players. At level 9, I began to understand this game. I love it now. The complex system, which is so primarily due to the inefficent use of specializations than anything, is perfect to build a toon that evolves to my battle preferences. I really can't wait for the next big patch. There is so much fine-tuning that must be done, but right now it is the adult version of MMORPG that I have been looking for.

Just my two cents, things that need to be fixed soon are: unorganized mobs, lack of fluid weather and daylight shifts, lack of NPC respawns during rifts affecting quest givers, and the distribution of NPCs is too systematic.
#2 May 17 2011 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
ThwartTheRift wrote:

Just my two cents, things that need to be fixed soon are:
1. unorganized mobs,
2. lack of fluid weather and daylight shifts,
3. lack of NPC respawns during rifts affecting quest givers,
4. and the distribution of NPCs is too systematic.


I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "unorganized mobs." The map tells you where to find the mobs you need for your quests and they're generally kept to a pretty tight area especially at low levels.

Fluid daylight and weather shifts I would put into the "would be nice" category. Yeah, it'd be neat if weather patterns behaved more realistically, but this is definitely not a high priority issue.

NPC respawns during rifts... That's kind of the point, when rift mobs take over your quest hub (which they will always try to do) your quest givers go away until you clear them out of there. This is supposed to encourage you to close rifts when you find them so that they DON'T send out invasion parties that then DON'T take over your quest hubs.

Distribution of NPCs is too systematic. I don't even know what that means. Are you saying you'd rather have quest NPCs scattered all over the place?
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#3 May 17 2011 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "unorganized mobs." The map tells you where to find the mobs you need for your quests and they're generally kept to a pretty tight area especially at low levels.


Sorry, I did not elaborate since I did not have the time. By unorganized I mean mobs specific to one quest widely spread out beyond the area you expect them to be. I frequently find myself weeding through endless stragglers along the roads nowhere near the quests.

Archmage Callinon wrote:
Fluid daylight and weather shifts I would put into the "would be nice" category. Yeah, it'd be neat if weather patterns behaved more realistically, but this is definitely not a high priority issue.


True, and I do not expect programmers to jump right on it. However, it is a vital part of a game to help immerse the player in the world of the game.

Archmage Callinon wrote:
NPC respawns during rifts... That's kind of the point, when rift mobs take over your quest hub (which they will always try to do) your quest givers go away until you clear them out of there. This is supposed to encourage you to close rifts when you find them so that they DON'T send out invasion parties that then DON'T take over your quest hubs.


That's no reason to keep an NPC from respawning. The average gamer will say, "There's the marker...where's the NPC?"

Archmage Callinon wrote:
Distribution of NPCs is too systematic. I don't even know what that means. Are you saying you'd rather have quest NPCs scattered all over the place?


By systematic I mean looking over a field and staring at all the NPCs standing precisely 10 meters apart from each other scratching their heads. The key is randomness.
#4 May 17 2011 at 8:02 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
I'm removing my own quotes to avoid making this ridiculous.

ThwartTheRift wrote:

Sorry, I did not elaborate since I did not have the time. By unorganized I mean mobs specific to one quest widely spread out beyond the area you expect them to be. I frequently find myself weeding through endless stragglers along the roads nowhere near the quests.


Well roads aren't really meant to be safe. The world has some life to it, and it's important that it does. Believe me, you'd notice it a lot more if there was nothing at all on or near the roads and it really would break immersion to see that.

I always found that (especially at lower levels) mobs related to a certain quest were always in pretty close proximity to one another. I never had to range very far outside of a given section of map to find stuff I needed to kill. Maybe you have an example of a place where this is particularly bad that caused this to be a problem for you?

ThwartTheRift wrote:

True, and I do not expect programmers to jump right on it. However, it is a vital part of a game to help immerse the player in the world of the game.


See there are technical issues with this too, and to do what I think you're asking for (admittedly I could be wrong) would take a lot of graphical muscle on the part of the client system, well beyond the stated specs for the game. Certainly it's something they could do at a later time for those people running top end systems, but honestly it's the sort of thing I might expect to see two or three expansions down the line when it's time to update the graphics engine anyway.

ThwartTheRift wrote:

That's no reason to keep an NPC from respawning. The average gamer will say, "There's the marker...where's the NPC?"


The reason is because those footholds are MEANT to take over the quest hub. When you're saying "There's the marker, where's the NPC" what you should be saying is "There's the marker, oh and there are a zillion demons milling around this big black idol in the middle of my quest hub... woops"

It isn't reasonable for NPCs to just keep spawning in the middle of that. Deal with the foothold and the quest hub will respawn itself shortly thereafter.

ThwartTheRift wrote:

By systematic I mean looking over a field and staring at all the NPCs standing precisely 10 meters apart from each other scratching their heads. The key is randomness.


Huh? Smiley: dubious

I know of literally zero places in the game where this happens. Perhaps you could point out the area, or provide a screenshot?
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 May 17 2011 at 11:19 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
ThwartTheRift wrote:
That's no reason to keep an NPC from respawning. The average gamer will say, "There's the marker...where's the NPC?"


There is in Rift. It was actually one of the key aspects of the game that they focused on when marketing just prior to release. It could be worse. The devs had originally discussed having things like invasions destroy towns and such but decided that for as "interesting" as it might sound, having a zone event overrun a zone and suddenly have all questing shut down for hours upon hours would probalby just **** people off. That's why we got what we did. The NPCs will fight and if they die, you have to clear the foothold in order for them to come back (and stick around for you to pick up/turn in quests before they charge back in to their deaths.)
#6 May 18 2011 at 5:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Aurelius wrote:
ThwartTheRift wrote:
That's no reason to keep an NPC from respawning. The average gamer will say, "There's the marker...where's the NPC?"


There is in Rift. It was actually one of the key aspects of the game that they focused on when marketing just prior to release. It could be worse. The devs had originally discussed having things like invasions destroy towns and such but decided that for as "interesting" as it might sound, having a zone event overrun a zone and suddenly have all questing shut down for hours upon hours would probalby just **** people off. That's why we got what we did. The NPCs will fight and if they die, you have to clear the foothold in order for them to come back (and stick around for you to pick up/turn in quests before they charge back in to their deaths.)


This is something I don't understand. People that won't take part in invasions, rifts, etc. There was a true newb on the other night as I was on an alt in Freemarch. There was an invasion, but not enough people on so it failed. A lot of us ran around cleaning up the rifts and footholds, but one guy in particular just took that time to rant about all the stuff in his way and how he was going to have to just "sit around and wait for it all to despawn". Then I and and lot of others tried to explain to him that this was kind of the point of the game, that he should jump in and help us out. It's exp, loot and rep all in one.

Just seems to me if someone only wants to do quests and run dungeons, there are 8,038 games out there that do just that.
#7 May 18 2011 at 6:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
3,149 posts
This seems almost like a "why isn't it more like what I'm used to" thread.

I think Rift has progressed from earlier games like WoW.

I'm not sure what the "fluid weather and daylight shifts" is supposed to mean. WoW didn't have weather for the first year or two. There was all kinds of ******** when they introduced it with people saying it caused lag etc. Rift has that kind of weather. EQ had a day/night shift which made considerable difference to some zones and none at all to others.

The thing about being fluid is that these games are on a condensed time cycle. I know they published the day length as 72 minutes in EQ. When you condense like that the transitions are going to be kind of sudden. However "big" the game feels it is a tiny sandbox compared to reality.

And in case anyone wonders why they don't just have 24-hour cycles it would be a bit rough on people who play at night to never see the daylight - or vice versa.

The unorganised mobs complaint seems almost at odds with the later point about them being too systematic. The fact that they can wander about and be found outside the area marked is a PLUS. The illogicality of killing a spotted dorkweaver 3 metres from the last one and not being eligible for the quest drop because you've crossed an invisible line is something I'm glad to be rid of. The map circles are an indicator, not a delimiter.

I would agree that a bit more variety in NPCs would not go amiss. A lot of them have the same faces and say exactly the same thing - whether it is relevant or not! I had a ghost that I'd raised for a quest - an extremely one-off conversation -finish with "we must banter again someday" Smiley: smile

____________________________
Wherever I go - there I am.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 28 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (28)