Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

LFG Cross-Shard...Please!!!Follow

#1 May 18 2011 at 4:43 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,208 posts
I love this game. I love logging on and being able to do stuff in short peroids of time. I do not like the new LFG tool. Noone tries to even form Dungeon parties anymore because of it, and it is worthless since it is not done cross-shard. If you want RIFT to thrive as it should for the great game it is...please make the LFG Cross-shard, for those of us without hours and hours to play.

Everytime I log on I always use the LFG tool, not once yet have I received a party from it, and I always flag as both dps or support.

Edited, May 18th 2011 6:44pm by Proroc
____________________________
[ffxivsig]587056[/ffxivsig]
FFXI: Maddog - 99 BST, BLM, RDM, WAR


#2 May 18 2011 at 5:12 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,074 posts
While I can understand why you're frustrated, I think going cross-shard would be a huge mistake. IMO single-shard LFG can do a lot to build a community, matching people up with people who play when they do, allowing guilds to get to know each other, and individuals to grow their friends lists, whereas cross-shard does the opposite, encouraging the bad behavior born of relative anonymity and few consequences.

I think it would be much better if they took measures to stabilize population across servers so people have a reasonable chance of finding like-minded individuals within their own shard.
#3 May 18 2011 at 5:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
I'd prefer to see shard mergers long before a cross-shard LFG tool. I feel the problem is low population on a given shard - but cross-shard LFG is blamed for much of the "death of a community" vibe found in other games with such a system.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#4 May 18 2011 at 5:31 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
I'd prefer to see shard mergers long before a cross-shard LFG tool. I feel the problem is low population on a given shard - but cross-shard LFG is blamed for much of the "death of a community" vibe found in other games with such a system.


No, you would not like to see shard mergers. You would like to see more people playing on your shard. Which is what Trion is working towards with the free trials and advertising promotions. Shard mergers = the game stagnates and dies. No game has ever merged shards and gone on to grow. It sends a message to the MMO gamer community that says "our game is bad, nobody wants to play it, they're all leaving, so we're merging shards."

It's too early for that. And the next person who says they want shard mergers does NOT get a cookie.

Godammit.
#5 May 18 2011 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Aurelius wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
I'd prefer to see shard mergers long before a cross-shard LFG tool. I feel the problem is low population on a given shard - but cross-shard LFG is blamed for much of the "death of a community" vibe found in other games with such a system.


No, you would not like to see shard mergers. You would like to see more people playing on your shard.
True. But short of an expansion, I doubt that will happen. Trials will bring lowbies, but Scarlet Gorge and up will still be pretty sparse until you get to 40+.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#6 May 18 2011 at 6:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
There's a pretty vocal "I WANT TO DO MORE DUNGEONS" group, and then there's everyone else.

What some people in the "I WANT TO DO MORE DUNGEONS" group don't want to understand about cross-shard LFG is that it is just a band-aid solution. You might have a bigger pool of people, but it doesn't provide any extra motivation for anyone who doesn't want to do a dungeon to actually do a dungeon. Until someone figures out a way to do that, expanding the pool is only going to provide a negligible benefit.

Edited, May 18th 2011 8:10pm by Ravashack
#7 May 18 2011 at 10:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
3,149 posts
I think the reason - or one of the reasons - that people are shy of it is the scars they bear from using it elsewhere. Cross-server ruined my dungeon experience in WoW.

Maybe the tool needs tuning. Maybe people need to read the patch notes and realise it is there. But anonymous idiots joining and kicking and looting and quitting - no thanks.
____________________________
Wherever I go - there I am.
#8 May 19 2011 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
I'd prefer to see shard mergers long before a cross-shard LFG tool. I feel the problem is low population on a given shard - but cross-shard LFG is blamed for much of the "death of a community" vibe found in other games with such a system.


No, you would not like to see shard mergers. You would like to see more people playing on your shard.
True. But short of an expansion, I doubt that will happen. Trials will bring lowbies, but Scarlet Gorge and up will still be pretty sparse until you get to 40+.


As players, we want what we want and we want it right now. As developers, they have to think a little more long term. Shards that were previously medium-ish population are now getting queues. And the devs are working on adjusting thing so that the overflow goes to shards that need more people instead of having full shards just getting longer queues.

The shards will fill up. It will take time, but it will happen. I just think that right now, the benefits of shard mergers would be outstripped by the overall consequences. Shard mergers are for failing games. Rift is not failing.
#9 May 19 2011 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
424 posts
To the OP, the LFG tool has become more of an instant port to dungeons than anything. I rarely queue for it by myself, I usually throw out messages in my guild chat or /1 /4 and hope I get some bites. I use it to get out and around from being dungeon locked and to pick up the extra plaques. But you gotta take in the time that you are playing, the population of your server, the peak hours, and as well as the roles that are currently being looked for. If someone just needs a dps or support, yeah you might have a slot. But if they need a tank or heals, you are SoL. It's not that the tool is a failure, it is that people are jaded from WoW's LFG tool which was fairly successful (aside from the ******** you got every now and again.)
____________________________
Life is like a box of chocolates until you ate them you fat *******!

Main - Viceyl

Pirate: Warding off ninjas since Columbus got lost at sea.
#10 May 20 2011 at 12:22 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
I must say, the LFG Tool in WoW was a good ides for us casual players to find quicly a group to do an instance.....

But on the other side, i played FFXI, and i have to admit, forming a group with people from you server gives you the possibility to know them better. The feeling when you play in a fantastic party, and then 3 days later you meet some of that group again, always gave me a warm feeling of a good communitie
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (26)