Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Trion Rift Add on Policy postedFollow

#1 Jul 08 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
526 posts
Welllllll this looks like it will be major

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?223337-RIFT-UI-Add-On-Policy&p=2762729&viewfull=1#post2762729

RIFT UI Add-On Policy

RIFT™ User Interface Add-On Policy


Trion Worlds, Inc. (“Trion”) has created this policy to formalize the development and distribution of RIFT™ user interface add-ons created by members of the player community (referred to hereafter as "Add-Ons"). The purpose of this policy is to ensure the integrity of RIFT and to continue promoting an enjoyable gaming environment for our players. Failure to abide by the policy may result in measures up to and including formal legal action.

All Add-Ons must abide by the RIFT End User License Agreement and Trion’s Terms of Use.
All Add-Ons, including all versions thereof and all features therein, must be distributed free of charge. Further, Developers may not charge money, or any other form of compensation, for services related to the Add-On.
Add-Ons, including the Add-On website or distribution site, may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.
Add-Ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material, and must comply with the ESRB ‘T’ rating (and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world) for RIFT.
All Add-On code must be completely visible, not hidden or obfuscated in any way, and freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.
Add-Ons may not negatively impact RIFT, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.
Trion reserves the right to disable any Add-On or Add-On functionality its sole discretion.

If you have any questions about this User Interface Add-On Policy and/or how it pertains to any Add-On that you have developed, please email us at [email]addons@RIFTgame.com[/email].

James "Elrar" Nichols
Community Manager
#2 Jul 08 2011 at 1:00 PM Rating: Decent
*
151 posts
ehh sounds about the same as every MMO. Smiley: dubious
#3 Jul 08 2011 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
526 posts
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
ehh sounds about the same as every MMO. Smiley: dubious


There is one very interesting part in there as it applies to Zam and Curse and I am sure they are working on e-mails right now to Trion about it.
#4 Jul 08 2011 at 3:41 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
That's why it says "unless expressly permitted by Trion". Since Zam's ads are just general ads for the site, and have been that way for a while, I think they'll be granted permission. At worst I think they'll just have to agree not to have ads on the addon portion of the site, but I doubt even that will be necessary.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#5 Jul 08 2011 at 4:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
526 posts
All,

It appears a version did not get in my hands that improved the specifics of point 3, apologies for the confusion it has caused. The OP has been updated to reflect the following:

3. Addons may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.

James "Elrar" Nichols
Community Manager

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?223337-RIFT-UI-Add-On-Policy&p=2763899&viewfull=1#post2763899
#6 Jul 08 2011 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Puremallace wrote:

Add-Ons, including the Add-On website or distribution site, may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.


Note the bold. So really huge, established sites they will probably allow, but not some random website.

Puremallace wrote:

Add-Ons may not negatively impact RIFT, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.

So it sounds like Add-ons that export to chat better have hard coded limits or expect to be disabled. That also means the people who ask for parse results EVERY SINGLE FIGHT better download the add-on themselves. It's also possible that the Add-on may be required to display the parse information in a format that is not convenient to copy/paste, like some sort of graph/chart image.

#7 Jul 09 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,764 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Puremallace wrote:

Add-Ons, including the Add-On website or distribution site, may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.


Note the bold. So really huge, established sites they will probably allow, but not some random website.


The policy was revised to only prohibit advertisements in the Add-on itself. Prohibiting advertisements from the sites would make for a monumental headache for everyone involved.

Ravashack wrote:
Puremallace wrote:

Add-Ons may not negatively impact RIFT, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.

So it sounds like Add-ons that export to chat better have hard coded limits or expect to be disabled. That also means the people who ask for parse results EVERY SINGLE FIGHT better download the add-on themselves. It's also possible that the Add-on may be required to display the parse information in a format that is not convenient to copy/paste, like some sort of graph/chart image.


"Excessive" is left open to interpretation. More likely, it's to limit add-ons that share data via hidden chat channels. GearScore and Gatherer are two that I can think of off-hand that would share data, and they could get rather spammy depending on the settings. 5 lines of text after a trash pack, as annoying as it can get, I find hard to define as "excessive".
____________________________
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unsee. Things that make you fervently wish to protect other people from ever seeing those things. This is why forum admins are sometimes cranky.
#8 Jul 09 2011 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
AstarintheDruid wrote:
Ravashack wrote:
Puremallace wrote:

Add-Ons, including the Add-On website or distribution site, may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.


Note the bold. So really huge, established sites they will probably allow, but not some random website.


The policy was revised to only prohibit advertisements in the Add-on itself. Prohibiting advertisements from the sites would make for a monumental headache for everyone involved.

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Oops! =X

AstarintheDruid wrote:

Ravashack wrote:
Puremallace wrote:

Add-Ons may not negatively impact RIFT, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.

So it sounds like Add-ons that export to chat better have hard coded limits or expect to be disabled. That also means the people who ask for parse results EVERY SINGLE FIGHT better download the add-on themselves. It's also possible that the Add-on may be required to display the parse information in a format that is not convenient to copy/paste, like some sort of graph/chart image.


"Excessive" is left open to interpretation. More likely, it's to limit add-ons that share data via hidden chat channels. GearScore and Gatherer are two that I can think of off-hand that would share data, and they could get rather spammy depending on the settings. 5 lines of text after a trash pack, as annoying as it can get, I find hard to define as "excessive".


Well, I was writing that from the impression that there is a limit to how often you can enter in chat lines, and it's why the most you may have ever seen someone flood chat was like 3 very long lines. (I know for a fact that there's definitely a limit on how fast you can spam emotes.)
#9 Jul 12 2011 at 11:25 AM Rating: Decent
10 posts
So does this mean I can get threat, healing, and damage meters now? Sweet deal yo.
#10 Jul 12 2011 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
you could already get healing and damage meters :P.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (12)