Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Question about 1.7 ideaFollow

#1 Jan 19 2012 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
191 posts
I have a 49 WAR about 200k from 50. Assuming the EXP freeze makes it to production, what reason would there be for me to wait for the update and freeze EXP. Is this a PVP bracket thing or a PVE-progression thing?
____________________________
Pikko wrote:
I'm here with the Sticky Wand of Doom!!

Osanshouo wrote:
What makes an unbeatable game fun?
Your friends.


Crysania Majere 50WHM, 50SCH, 50SMN
Kraken Club - Ultros
#2 Jan 20 2012 at 2:26 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Typically someone does this to stay in a particular pvp bracket and min/max at that level (a process called "twinking")

It became a problem in wow actually and it probably will eventually become one in Rift too, though I suspect it'll take a while before the problem actually matters.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#3 Jan 20 2012 at 5:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
67 posts
In WoW, those with XP turned off were in their own set of brackets from the get-go, iirc.
____________________________

[riftsig]1917068[/riftsig]
#4 Jan 20 2012 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Rift's itemization works differently than it did in WoW. Twinking in WoW was possible through a combination of quest rewards that were available to all levels even though they were put in under the assumption you would have to be at or above a certain level to survive the process of getting them (ie. fishing contest in STV.) Epics for the lower levels were also extremely difficult to come by. They were typically world drops and sold for a price that reflected their value to twinks. Epics in Rift for the low-mid level range typically come from things like puzzles and cairns. The option to freeze xp will make it more viable to get some of the low-mid level epics with planar currency before you outgrow the practical use for them.

Twinking will be an issue in Rift, but I don't think it will be as bad as WoW. The devs did this in response to people saying that the PvP game changed too much when you went from level 49 -> 50; they liked warfronts when they were leveling, hated them at 50.

This is a change I'm certain Trion will be keeping a very close eye on, and if it should happen to end up in a situation where low/mid level players are complaining about twinks ruining the warfront leveling experience, Trion can just do with twinks what they did with premades.

Also, the (newly added to PTS) mercenary option for warfronts might help prevent one faction or the other from dominating, be it at 50 or earlier.
#5 Jan 20 2012 at 9:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
67 posts
The mercenary system looks really cool. I kinda hope that it's a step towards allowing players to defect (unlikely, I know!). I love the magitek feel of the Defiants yet rolled Guardian to play with friends. I can't say I'd defect immediately if the option were available, but I'd seriously consider it.

Edited, Jan 20th 2012 10:07pm by emallson
____________________________

[riftsig]1917068[/riftsig]
#6 Jan 22 2012 at 10:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
526 posts
Twinking in WoW you could get entire sets from Wailing Caverns and just wreck the 10-20 bracket. Then with the introduction of bind on account gear it was just another example of blizzard failing and alienating the game even further from new players.

Most you will see with Rift is a demand for crafted gear maybe or people actually finishing those rep gear sets. Twinking really serves no practical purpose and performs the same roll as in Aion. It just benefits people who are terribad at end game who want to feel better about themselves.
#7 Jan 22 2012 at 11:16 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Meh, if they want to do it, let them. Just as long as it doesn't obliterate low level pvp, I don't see any issue with it.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#8 Jan 23 2012 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Meh, if they want to do it, let them. Just as long as it doesn't obliterate low level pvp, I don't see any issue with it.


It will destroy low level PvP unless/until Trion separates queues the way Blizzard did with WoW. The reason it remained an issue in WoW for so long was because for years, there was no xp to be gained in BGs. Killing other players granted no xp, winning/losing BGs gained no xp. Twinking was an option pretty much from day one when BGs were added. But then they added xp and the twink community cried so Blizzard added the toggle and the queue split.

The tragedy is that the twink community swore up and down that they didn't twink to roll non-twinks. They did it for the "challenge" of fighting other twinks. So hey...lots of twinks, lots of "challenge"...lots of time and gold invested into their twinks. Rather than just breaking them, let them keep their "challenge."

And within two weeks the twink queues were deserted because a) they were long due to a shortage of twinks and b) even the twinks who were queuing were ****** that there were no non-twinks to roll and they gave up.

If the mercenary system is extended to include all brackets from 10-49 in addition to 50, and if the xp toggle option is added without splitting queues, I'd say it will be less than a month before leveling warfronts have enough twinks in them to fully undermine the experience for non-twinks.
#9 Jan 23 2012 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
526 posts
Aurelius wrote:


If the mercenary system is extended to include all brackets from 10-49 in addition to 50, and if the xp toggle option is added without splitting queues, I'd say it will be less than a month before leveling warfronts have enough twinks in them to fully undermine the experience for non-twinks.


It better not be Aion all over again. You have no idea how crazy this crap drove me. Aion took that crap to the definition of the word extreme though.

Aion proves a simple system can be destroyed by the introduction of gear sets and high lvl enchants. I do not think the gear sets and enchants are there to make twinks one shot people.

If they add gear sets and cave to qq then yeah low level pvp is utterly screwed.
#10 Jan 25 2012 at 1:48 AM Rating: Decent
4 posts
emallson wrote:
In WoW, those with XP turned off were in their own set of brackets from the get-go, iirc.

Actually that was not implemented until roughly 3.2-ish.

It also killed off most twinking because despite their claims, 90% of twinks don't want a "fair fight", they want to stomp newbies, which is why it's depressing that Trion has brought this crap to Rift, too.
#11 Jan 25 2012 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
67 posts
Kyrosiris wrote:
emallson wrote:
In WoW, those with XP turned off were in their own set of brackets from the get-go, iirc.

Actually that was not implemented until roughly 3.2-ish.

It also killed off most twinking because despite their claims, 90% of twinks don't want a "fair fight", they want to stomp newbies, which is why it's depressing that Trion has brought this crap to Rift, too.

Quote:
In patch 3.2.0, a feature was introduced that allowed players to disable experience gains in exchange for 10g. Battlegrounds were then altered to force xp-off characters to face only other xp-off characters. Battleground XP was enabled for all other characters.

Link: http://www.wowpedia.org/Twink
Quote:

  • Battleground experience has arrived!
  • Players will now be awarded experience for completing objectives and actions that yield honor in Battlegrounds (honorable kills not included).
  • Players who do not wish to gain experience through PvP can visit Behsten in Stormwind or Slahtz in Orgrimmar - both located near the Battlemasters in either city - and turn off all experience accumulation for the cost of 10 [gold].
  • Disabling experience gains will prevent a player from gaining experience through any means available in the game.
  • Players with experience gains turned off who compete in Battlegrounds will face off only against other players with experience gains turned off.


Link: http://www.wowpedia.org/Patch_3.2

The brackets were split in 3.2 at the same time XP disabling and BG XP were put in.

As for your point about twinks, you are correct.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 9:59am by emallson
____________________________

[riftsig]1917068[/riftsig]
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (23)